1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Desperate to get out while still sane

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by thatmaninthehat, Feb 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. thatmaninthehat

thatmaninthehat Occasional commenter

Can I resign,giving the required statutory notice according to my contract, when I am signed off sick?

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

3. thatmaninthehat

4. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

But you would need to be careful about going for interviews, as it could be argued that if you're too sick to work... I do know this isn't necessarily the case, as interview days are usually much less demanding than a full day's teaching.

But still, I would seek advice if you were intending to seek other posts while off sick.

5. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

Maybe have a chat with your gp about what they think to you looking for a new job and going for interviews. If they think it's something that's good for you yet other people challenge it you could get a letter from them stating the benefits to you.

6. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

It isn't purely a health thing though (the going for interviews) It doesn't change the fact that without the employers permission, going for an interview whilst signed off sick is not really sensible.

7. thatmaninthehat

I do realise it's not a good idea attending interviews and I've no intentions of applying for jobs elsewhere until I've resigned. Very few jobs available where I am anyway at present..Can I email the resignation letter? Never want to go near the place again if I can help it,and certainly do not want to see the narcissistic egotist who has caused this situation.

8. michaelict1

michaelict1 New commenter

You can email the resignation letter but make sure you get a read receipt as these emails can go "missing". You do not have to go back if you absent due to sickness. In relation to your resignation letter it only has to state it is your intention to leave on that specific date nothing else..

9. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Good luck with the new direction for your career.
    I hope you haven't left too many personal things there. If so, it may be worth getting an ally to gather them for you and and hand them over at a neutral venue.
    It may be that once you've resigned you can have an official visit to hand over keys and the like and retrieve any of your stuff.

You could post the letter - recorded delivery if necessary.

10. thatmaninthehat

Thanks all.Posting would be better I know but the deadline is getting tight and I'm still awaiting some union advice. Just weighing up all the options and don't want to shoot myself in the foot.Ridiculous that professional people have to operate in a climate of mistrust and suspicion like this.I don't think anyone I know outside of teaching would believe what goes on in some schools.

peggylu likes this.
  11. michaelict1

michaelict1 New commenter

I don't think anyone I know outside of teaching would believe what goes on in some schools. Here lies the problem.... Teaching is the most intrinsic profession I have ever come across. Practices of management and man management are farcical and outdated. Coming from a engineering background these practices were outlawed in the mid 80s. Enough of my mini rant all the best with what career you choose to pursue

thatmaninthehat and pepper5 like this.
  12. thatmaninthehat

Can anyone please advise. Will start a new thread if necessary.
    As most local union reps are also working teachers are they able, given that they are employed full-time themselves, realistically to give adequate time to difficult cases?

13. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Your union need to be the people to advise you.
    Difficult cases are passed to regional reps who work/volunteer full time for the union.

If you never want to go back, then there is no rush to resign. You have until the end of May to resign for the end of August and are likely to be off sick for a great proportion of that time by the sounds of things. Resigning before your union have sorted an agreed reference won't be the best option.

missRV likes this.
  14. 50sman

50sman Senior commenter

What further advice do you need.
    If you resign before the end of the month you should be paid until the end of term - if your school is an LA school ring up payroll of HR to check. You will also be paid for any holiday pay you have accrued (this includes a small chunk of the summer holiday pay as you will have worked for most of the year _-again talk to HR)

Best of luck in th future

15. 50sman

50sman Senior commenter

I agree with caterpillartobutterfly

16. thatmaninthehat

I'm an nqt on induction so not that simple.It's not about being paid although that is important.More about the end of my career.

17. thatmaninthehat

Caterpillar, thanks for your advice. Just to clarify are you saying that there is no rush to resign from the school? Rather than teaching? I'm an Nqt.Struggling but not all my fault and the union are involved.

18. thatmaninthehat

Can someone tag GLghost on this?Can't seem to tag maybe because I'm a relatively new poster? Or maybe too stressed and stupid these days.

19. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Volunteer reps still employed in teaching would (should) not attempt to advise on difficult cases. They should escalate it up to a full-time regional officer who is employed by the union.

wanet likes this.
  20. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

You can resign while off sick, giving the correct amount of contractual notice. You should not do so without advice from the union. It may be that they can negotiate departure at a different time, with an agreed reference.