1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Designing Worksheets for Year 1s

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ChrisPayne1, Sep 10, 2018.

1. ChrisPayne1

ChrisPayne1 New commenter

I am a College teacher and I am also completing a PhD which looks at possible interdisciplinary curriculum designs for interlinking Maths and coding through musical principles - encouraging a STEAM curriculum.

I would be grateful if you could complete this short survey that looks at my worksheet design principles for year 1 students.

the URL link is here: [This comment/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

Thanks in advance :)

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2018
  2. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

Your PhD sounds very interesting and you are very lucky to be doing one.

However, I feel so disheartened to hear you are planning to use worksheets. What a shame! Please don't design worksheets for year 1 pupils. You have a great opportunity to research and advocate other approaches!

Well, that's my opinion and response to your worksheet design principles!

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I've not seen your principles, the link has been removed, but like @digoryvenn I'm very saddened to hear you are doing research into worksheets for year 1.

Worksheets are a naff way to teach at any age...in year 1 they are truly terrible.

4. ElizaMorrell

ElizaMorrell Occasional commenter

Maths, coding and music are absolutely not suited to worksheets. 5 year olds are also absolutely not suited to worksheets. You'd be hard pressed to find a year 1 teacher in support of worksheets.

5. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

I’m a year 1 teacher and would say the only subject I really need a worksheet for is 3D shapes as my drawing is hopeless.

6. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

You are overthinking Year 1.

7. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

:D:D:D:D:D