1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Design & Technology

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by slithers, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Hi, Im coming to the end of my PGCE and I am currently doing my research assignment. My title is;
    CAD in Design and Technology....Would the use of more Computer Aided Design applied in textiles during Key Stage 3 steer more males towards opting for textiles at GCSE level?
    I would be particularly interested to hear from any teachers that teach design & tech.
    All opinions are welcome.
    Thank you.

2. just an idea!
    Can you prepare a questionnaire and I will willingly ask year 9 on return after the Easter hols.
    Other teachers may be willing to help! Ask for volunteers via this site, then email them the questionnaire!

3. I trained recently in D&T having previous worked as a graphic designer for 25years. In commercial art I have had to use CAD inc Photoshop and Illustrator to produce artwork. By definition I am traditional artist and use watercolours, oils & acrylics, the move into the world of computers was the result of adapting to the changing market. Recently I invigilated Art & Design Graphic 'O' level and 'O' level Art & Design Textile and I was impressed by the textile work as it was very 'Graphic design on cloth' and a quarter were male. I noticed that they were using textile design as another medium of art and it seemed no different to a mixed medium composition. The fact that it could be crafted to be 3D and have additional topics attached added to the 'wow factor'. So from my perspective (excuse the pun) but I believe that the use of CAD to textile would definitely appeal to all and attract a male interest.

4. Hi industry uses computers and men all the time for design, pattern cutting, lay planning (advance jigsaw to waste least fabric) and tracking processes.
    If there are ways to access these via classroom computing and satisfy the exam boards then both boys and industry could benefit. Too often it's making pretty sewing effects (more standard girly fare) rather than the nitty gritty of making a 3D item that works round a moving core that I see. Tailoring was almost all men so it must have been a bit appealing
    Simple pattern cutting done on a screen should tie in with other 3D design Dept's. Could some link project help smooth the way and break the stereotype embedded in boys minds.
    Maybe asking men in industry would give a clue to how they ended up in the industry (that is if you can find some textile industry left, there are pockets)
    Interesting study though....... good luck