1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Design Technology Software

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by carmic76, Jan 4, 2012.

1. This has probably been asked before but I am enquire what software(CAD) and CAM do you use in your schools?
    We currently use Techsoft 2D and have a laser cutter but we are thinking about investing in more CADCAM mainly to support Textiles.

2. This has probably been asked before but I am enquire what software(CAD) and CAM do you use in your schools?
    We currently use Techsoft 2D and have a laser cutter but we are thinking about investing in more CADCAM mainly to support Textiles.

3. Yes it has been asked before............... but anyway here goes again.
    1. Solidworks is good and one i personally prefer.
    2. ProE or now its Creo Pro free to schools if you have been on a course, which i am being turned towards.
    3. Space Claim is about the same price as Solidworks
    These are the best and in no particular order and are realy the best serious CAD packages. I know of people using Google sketch up and Inventor but i have never realy been impressed with either in terms of there serious merit.
    2D is a standard for most schools but its real benefit is in the output files to CAM machines. Most CAM machine will run their own software for example Boxford have GeoCam, Denfords have another etc etc. One school i was in you had to run the files through 2 different bits of software before it even got to the machine, this was an utter nightmare.
    I would love to say speed step for textiles, but to be frank its PANTs (clean ones). If you are looking for embroidery work look at the Brother machines that have a card reader so you can use jpegs or scanned images. These however use their own software. If you are wanting to do patterns then why not go back to 2D design and cut the patterns on the laser, just get your settings right and you will be fine.
    I dont know if this helps or not.........................................

4. re

re New commenter

Have you tried using the laser cutter to put patterns on cloth made from two different coloured thread? e.g. denim. Fantstic personalised results. from 2D design.

I agree with the comments about speedstep.

5. How does your school afford coral draw? Isn't it really expensive?

6. CAD software we use:
    Solidworks for 3D (we used to use Google Sketchup until we got some money)
    2D Design for 2D
    Adobe Photoshop CS5 and Adobe Illustrator CS5 for graphics (we use to use Photoshop Elements).
    Dropbox to sync files / back them up.
    http://db.tt/S1vMZCz

CAM used:
    Laser cutter (2) from Techsoft
    3D Printer (HP from Techsoft)
    CNC router from Techsoft
    A3 colour laser printer
    Vinyl cutter
    Laser image tranfer (similar to dye sublimation) from Techsoft.

7. CAD can be extremely expensive but there are some excellent alternatives to the high cost packages out there.
    For 3D CAD why not look at Creo Parametric 2 from PTC. It beats the pants off most of the competition, is used by some well know companies such as JCB, VAX and others and is given free to schools for both school and home use: yes that's around £35,000 of CAD software for nothing. It does solid modelling, rendering, animation, sheet metal (think folded materials and you have a great graphic package for boxes etc) and much much more.
    Photoshop is really expensive but why not look at the *** V2? Its open source software and does the same as Photoshop. Being opensource its completely free from www.***.org.
    Paint.net is another free graphic package for download.
    All of these need to be learned and training can be obtained at reasonable prices from CAD4School. Details can be obtained at their website www.cad4school.co.uk
    Hope that's of some use.