1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Design Technology PGCE secondary interview

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by odonnellemma, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    I have an interview shortly and I would be grateful if anyone could help me out with what kind of questions are being asked at the minute? just things to research etc so i can be extra prepared!
    Yours
    emod

2. bigpedro

bigpedro New commenter

Avoid gramatical errors like "at the minute" I know this is subject to regional variation but technically "at the moment" would be a more correct phrase. (im not trying to pick, but interviewers can be put off by that kind of thing (depending how ar5ey they are)

As for questions,
    What would you bring to the post? - an absolute classic!
    How would you engage with >>>INSERT GROUP OR SEX OF STUDENTS HERE<<< who dont want to do the subject? - again, guaranteed to come up
    What procedures would you put in place to ensure that students are completing work? - variations on this are <u>making progress</u>, <u>know what level they are at</u>, <u>know what they need to do to improve</u>
    Why this school? - answer honestly and do your research into the local area, what the school ethos is e.t.c.
    How would you make sure that DandT is a leading subject in the school - be creative, but not expensive!
    How could you develop cross-curricular links with other subjects? - **** on about STEM here.
    Why do you think DT is important in a school curriculum? - tricky, as there are no correct answers just make sure you flog the all encompassing nature of the subject.

If i think of more i'll post further...

Pedro

3. Just a few ideas gained from a friend recently;
    How would you address gender issues in your area- eg encourage more girls/ boys depending on area.
    How to improve achievement of lower ability levels?
    How would you differentiate for Gifted and Talented?
    How versatile are you- with redundancies in our school- we now need to be able to offer other areas/ subjects Could you offer Food? Textiles? RE? PSHE?
    What after school actitities could you offer?

4. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Is it a college place to do PGCE or for a D&T job? It's not very clear in your post.

5. Thank you so much for your help...
    Its for a college place to do my PGCE!

6. Hi Emod,
    I had my interview at the start of Jan, it's a group interview and while they ask you questions individually, it sometimes forms a discussion. It was really useful to have a solid answer as to why I want to teach, and what I'd bring to a school. We also discussed current issues affecting students and schools at the moment.
    When running through our portfolios at the end, we were only given a couple of minutes each. It's crucial to prepare this bit as they're really testing your presentation style and confidence as well as looking at your work.
    Hope that helps!
    Louise