1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Design Technology KS3 Time Allocation

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by orj_e, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Time allocation for KS3 Design Technology has been reduced at our school from 4 hours a fortnight to 2 and a half hours a fortnight.
    Does anyone know if theres a recomended time allocation for the provision of D+T at KS3?
    If there is no known time recomendation, could you tell me the general time allocation at your school? Just to get a clearer picture of things.

2. Spencer_DT

Spencer_DT Occasional commenter

We get 50 mins per students per week for the whole year, no rotations, for all KS3 7,8 and 9.

3. So how do you deliver Food? Tell me does anyone know if Food has to be taught from Sept. The last government set this up but I'm not sure if we now have to?
    We have 4 hours a fortnight and rotate groups. One hour lessons (wish they were doubles). How on earth can you teach KS4 if they don't have the experience at KS3?

4. we have one double lesson and one single lesson in years 8 and 9 (50mins each lesson) and one double in year 7. The rotations last 9 weeks. The double lesson is usually one project and thhe single a different project so they basically do 2 projects a year for each area of D and T in year 8 and 9.

5. 4 hours per fortnight, we rotate between subjects.

6. The government are doing yet another review of the curriculum - across all stages. They are not due to report till January or there abouts. I'm just carrying on with what we were doing till we are told otherwise. Not to much of a problem as we deliver Food in KS3 to all students anyway.