1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Design/Planning sheet for children's model making?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by LucyD84, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Does anyone have a planning/design" sheet on which children can plan out their models before making them? (e.g. before they make a lego model/ model with junk modelling materials- they draw their model and have to think about what they want to produce/what materials they will need etc?)
    I looked in the resources section but as soon as i mention "pla" or "planning" i just get lesson plans rather than design plans!
    My class love to make models with junk modelling materials but at the moment its more a case of "im going to gather as many boxes as i possibly can- preferably the ones with pictures on that i like- stick them all togeher with masses of sticky tape and glue and then not really know what ive made at the end of it!" So i want to do an adult-led activity this week where they plan/design their model first.

Has anyone got a planning/design sheet like this?
    soxbox1000@hotmail.co.uk

Many Thanks

2. inky

inky Lead commenter

I think that, if you are going to attempt such a thing, you should model the process first.
    It's hard enough for an adult, let alone a four-year-old, and the mess is part of the process, surely?

3. I'm going to model the process...thats the whole point in wanting a planning sheet so we can use it to model how to plan and then get the children to have a go! I'm not against the "mess" - in fact i don't see it as "mess" - I just know that I have bright children who would be perfectly able to put a little more thought into what they want to make! They just need to be shown how to do it.
    I'm not saying im going to force every child to plan and design every model they make - i just want to show them that its a possibility!
    Does anyone have a planning/design sheet?

4. inky

inky Lead commenter

Fair dos. I'm sorry I misunderstood your post. I still don't really understand why you need a planning sheet, though.

5. inky

inky Lead commenter

Are you going to show them the one you 'did earlier'?

6. I'm going to model "doing" one in front of them (rather than just do it now and show it to them) -so that i can talk through what i'm doing/drawing.

7. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Can they not plan on a blank sheet ... draw what they want to make ...then collect the materials

8. Hello Lucy D84
    On the Early Learning HQ website there is a sheet called 'Construction notepaper'. I have these on clip boards as part of our CP. The children draw pictures of what they think they might build, sometimes of what they have built. Thay are kept with the construction kits. At this time of year it encourages mark making but later in the year they might help a child achieve KUW 8 (well thats the theory). The adults have modelled there use as part of our play.
    I hope this what you need.