1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Design Cycle... relevant...outdated...?

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by Mychael, Feb 23, 2019.

1. Mychael

Mychael New commenter

Currently working in NZ where my students don't understand the importance of steps like planning, investigation and ideas before manufacturing.

As part of an inquiry the school would like me to investigate/argue it's relevance. (my opinion aside -so please don't preach to the converted) I'd like to hear your thoughts of the design cycle.

Does the iterative design process (enforced by leading exam boards) supersede the traditional design cycle? -i'm not as familiar with this process so would also love to learn how it (successfully) works.

I'd also be interested in how you'd go about introducing/delivering this (if applicable)

TIA

2. MrJohnson_Technology

MrJohnson_Technology New commenter

The main argument should be the iterative design process is the design cycle.

The iterative cycle can be broken down to Analyse, Design, Develop, Implement, Evaluate, repeat.

The traditional design cycle (depending on the version used the verbs may be different) is Investigate, Plan, Design, Create, Evaluate, repeat (or Identify needs, Research, Generate Ideas, Develop Solutions, Realise Solutions, Evaluate, repeat.)

The design/iterative cycle isn't just useful in D&T either, it can be used across a range of subjects and industries (and probably is in your school).

You can also map the Design/Iterative cycle to Kolb's experiential learning cycle (and later derivatives) so a good argument for the relevance of the cycle in D&T is that when you boil it down to its fundamental parts it is simply the experiential learning cycle in action.

KirkyLu likes this.