1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Design and technology key stage 3 skills/SOL

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by w31ley, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Dear all,

Can you help me? I have recently taken a new post as director of technology. I am a textiles teacher, now additionally in charge of graphics, resistant materials and food technology, all taut via AQA specification.

The problem lies in RM and Graphics, the schemes of learning are dated and do not cover enough knowledge and skills to sufficiently give our students the ability to perform well at GCSE. The teachers, in my opinion, are working much harder than the students due to this.

Has any one got any contacts, good examples of schemes that will engage, inspire, but ultimately teach a solid foundation of materials etc for ks4?

I have looked at local schools for examples with no prevail,

Many thanks all.
    Paula

2. Hi Paula,

I took over as HOD in Design and Technology the year before last, in a department that seemed to them that a terms scheme of work would be fine written on a piece of A4 that consisted of about 20 words! I am happy to say now though that after writing schemes for all areas we are getting the students back on track and engaged. I like you, am teaching all areas through the AQA spec. I would be more than happy for you to look at some ideas, revision guides, schemes etc that I have written based on the needs of the students and the exam board guidance. We teach all aspects of materials through theory and practical in all areas of KS4 although we do not teach textiles but i'm sure you have more than enough there already.
    Please let me know if I can help at all. Try not to stress too much....I know how easy that is to do!

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter