1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Design and Technology help please.....

Discussion in 'Primary' started by smallypauly, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Hello! I'm being observed by OFSTED for D and T and need a bit of help. I haven't exactly focused much on D and T this year and to be honest have been quite prescriptive. So, it's for year 5. Focus on boats. We have so far researched boats - types/materials etc. The final outcome will be a raft designed and made by the children. So my question is, what should my starting point be? I was thinking about giving them a selection of materials and asking them to choose the materials/equipment which would best suit a life raft. Rafts will have to hold a certain weight. They will then justify their choice and design their raft. The following lessons will involve making the raft, testing and evaluating and then making changes...

2. clangercrazy

clangercrazy New commenter

yeh, maybe evaluating materials for their ability to float.resist water.
    They could have lots of different materials, including different shapes (so cylindrical poles bottles etc too which will roll) and trays of water and test the materials in groups and decide which ones would be best for a raft - considering how well it floats, whether the water soaks in and changes it in any way, and whether any weight can be supported easily on top, without rolling or tipping. And sort them, make notes about each one on a table. They could then think about how they would join/cut each material, some metal might float for example, but do they have the resources to cut it? and polystyrene, which doesn't cut that well or neatly at all.
    Lots of notes to then inform them for later, and practise at lashing materials togetehr with string etc, tying knots and stuff, which relates to real life raft building like what you do on team building activities.
    thats probably what I'd do anyway.

3. Thankyou! It's just the matter of getting my hands on materials! Great advice! Ta