1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Deserted streets

Discussion in 'Personal' started by NellyFUF, Aug 30, 2015.

1. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

It is so quiet round here....

we drove from Leeds to Wakefield on Saturday and there was not a soul about ... onto Nottingham and hardly anyone around there .... the streets were empty and those weed balls.. the ones you see on Westerns... they were blowing around....

..this was around late morning.

Was there a royal wedding or something?

2. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

Bank holiday laziness?

3. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

Everyone was at Leeds Festival?

4. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Streets are getting quieter - combination of less freedom for some teenagers, more people using cars, decline of small shops, decline of the "local" pub and probably a few others I've not yet thought of.

5. neli

neli Occasional commenter

They could have been at Ossett (which is between Leeds and Wakefield) Craft market, I was and there were lots there.

6. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

Ay. Still. An hour and half driving round suburbia and villages - we saw only four people on the footpaths. Plenty of cars. I was thinking of the vast labour and materials and planning to build a network of footpaths, pavements and roadways - the built landscape - and no one was using it. Everyone was inside their homes. (Or at Ossett).

Miles upon miles of deserted urban landscape.

7. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

You are correct///even when i drive through villages in Essex Suffolk and Norfolk you find then deserted of folk.One assumes they live there but they never seem to venture out walking.........part of it is most villages as literally dormitory places,many folk work all day and travel everywhere by car and the retired are the ones you might see in the garden.Most villages dont have a community centre.halls disappear, and the activities which went on in them,no schools and shops//often the only 'community building is the pub...and those have to fight for passing trade as folks drink in their own homes.

Where there is a parade of shops i tend to find more folk....but giant supermarkets win out. Most villages are double yellow lined in the interests of keeping the road clear..but often involves traffic speeding through despite speed warnings and exclamations to drive slower.

Even if they do have a shop the yellow lines mean you cant stop and buy something.