1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

desert island discs

Discussion in 'Personal' started by oldsomeman, Jan 26, 2012.

1. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

If you were invited to appear on this show i wonder which 3 pieces of music books and luxery item you would take?

2. If i was stuck i would go for ...

album...Quadrophenia
    book..Fatty Batter by Michael Simkins
    Luxury item... Sea Line T60 Aura

3. lrw22

lrw22 Occasional commenter

When I am suffering with insomia I try to decide on my desert island discs. It's very difficult to narrow it down to the 8 you can have on the show now Oldsomeman is expecting us to choose only 3!
    Anyway mine would probably be

• Human by the Killers
    • Mad About the Boy by Dinah Washington
    • Mozart's Clarinet Concerto
    My book would be Jane Eyre and my luxury would have to be sunscreen as I burn easily!

4. My album would be Mozart's Sinfonia Concertante for strings
    Book - Irvine Welsh with Filth
    Luxury Item - a tomato plant

5. To introduce a sour note, I dislike the current presenter, the smug and self-consciously "glamorous" Scottish Kirsty Yound with her ugly millionaire husband. Her tone nearly overwhelms the guests, the music is never played in entirety, and the whole thing is trumpeted beyond its merit. I'm old enough to remember Roy Plomley, who made the programme seem affectionate and disarmingly modest

6. I too am old enough, and I agree entirely. The Young woman is hopeless

7. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

8. Music: Let it Loose by The Rolling Stones, Paradise by Coldplay and Sanctus by Libera. Book: Remember Me? by Sophie Kinsella. My luxury item would be my 'Tangle Teazer'. X

9. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I cant make my mind up as to what i want as i love so many differenttypes of music
    book would be one on how to buil everything out of scrap
    lxery........probably a solar powered radio.......or maybe a i pad for chatting lol

10. Gardening Leaves

Gardening Leaves New commenter

Great thread!

Mahler 1, Strauss 4 last songs, but only if I can have Gundela Janowitz singing. , Joni Mitchell 'Blue'.

Book - always Wuthering Heights but can I have Brian Fox's latest on quantum theory instead of the bible?

Luxury - my bed and pillow. All other bets are off.

11. Same here.
    Its not a patch on these more 'modern' times.

12. Music: Beethoven 7th Symphony; Bach Magnificat; Maria Callas singing Casta Diva
    Book: A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth because it is huge and I've not read it yet
    Luxury item: a plant propagator