1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Descriptive Writing - Year 5/6!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by crgray, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Hi All,
    I have an observation next week and I am thinking of doing some descriptive writing as writing is a big focus area for our school at the moment! We have been reading Kensuke's Kingdom and i was thinking of stealing an idea from the Read and Respond book - getting the children to write a descriptive piece on the forest. For those who don't know the story - the main character (a young boy) is stranded on an island and there is a scene where he's in the forest on his own... thought it would lend well to descriptive writing. I was wondering if anybody had a video clip or anything else i could use as a stimulus for descriptive writing on a forest.
    Also, any ideas on how i could differentiate this?
    Many thanks!

2. sueemc

sueemc New commenter

http://www.bbc.co.uk/learningzone/clips/monsoon-rains-support-the-indian-rainforest/8987.html
    very short, might be worth a look as a cue-in

re: diff'n - the LA could collect appropriate vocab - noun+adjectives - and do a 'zones of relevance' maybe working in pairs/groups, moving on to writing sentences, then the MA and HA could have sentence level targets eg. dropping in clauses, adverb/verb starter, complex sentences.. that's how I would do it. HTH

3. They look great - many thanks!! May well use the one in the forest. Thanks!!