1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Describe a walk with your dog

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Those who don't share their lives with a dog are probably unaware of the extent all dogs are different, even if they are are supposed to be the same brand of dog. Every dog I've had has been unique and the traits that each make of dog shared were different, depending on the dog's individual personality,

Sure it's true that certain breeds are more docile than others, that terrierist dogs who hear a cat fart three streets away won't rest until they've sniffed out the exact location, but not all terriers are the same, any more than humans are.

When I took our rathound out for a walk this evening, and observed how much he enjoys the opportunity to do dog stuff outside the constrainsts of what's possible indoors, I thought it might be an entertainment to relieve the boredom of isolation for others to describe how their mutts behave.

To get the ball rolling, our dog is very fussy where he does a poo, and is often on a mission to drag me to the site he intends it to be done on. Other times, the walk is all about a lot of sniffing and piddling, which I suspect is a sexual messaging thing that dogs do. This evening our walk involved the rathound going berserk for no apparenet reason and but for the fact I was able to restrain him, he would have been off. I suspect he probably picked up the smell of a fox or something similar that his DNA was programmed to kill.

Jack Russells for all their lovable charm, are basically lumps of brainless muscle that if allowed to, would would follow their noses to destroy anything that lived. The dogs we've had have in their own unique ways, have caused me to have four back injuries, but not everyone of them did and I write this, I reflect that the first dog-related back injury I sustained came from the gentlest, most obedient and intelligent we've ever owned, but like a kid might, left a toy at the top of the stairs for me to step on in the dark and suffer the consequences of.

But tell me what your dog walks are like in your best prose. There's a two shilling prize for the best post. It would be more if Royal Mail hadn't increased the cost of a stamp.

2. diddydave

diddydave Established commenter

One major benefit of having given up teaching ahead of retirement is the luxury of being able to see my two black labs when we walk in the morning now that I no longer have to rise at 5am to take them for the first outing of the day. The LED flashing collars have been packed away, though sometimes if we are playing golf early in the Winter months we dig them out when we take them for their brief wee and poop walk before taking them out on the course with us. The youngest is a true retriever and every swing of the club she thinks is a stick about to be thrown for her...18 holes, 4 players, 80-100 shots each...and she's eager to fetch that stick every time.

Whilst they'll both quite happily walk on a loose lead by our sides once off the lead the oldest prefers to be 10-20m in ahead of us and the youngest 10-20m in front of her. They're both sheep proof but need to be controlled when it comes to rabbits and squirrels. We have the luxury of living in a small hamlet with woods and farmland criss-crossed with paths and it's rare for us to have to put them on a lead, often we'll take a different path to the one they'd decided on just to keep them on their toes and the oldest, less often now, will charge in circles and figure of 8's - she's got a wicked side-step that would put any rugby fullback on their backside. The youngest will, when released, charge to greet other walkers (that we know) and as they bend to greet her will circle around and away, leaving them hanging mid-stroke...she fools them all every time.

3. May2

May2 Established commenter

My golden retriever has days when he gets very stubborn and decides where he wants to go for a walk. We live in a village and have several different routes we take involving fields and woods. But some days he just decides where he wants to go and if he doesn't want to go in the direction I was going he lies down and refuses to budge. He gets quite determined and sometimes I give in as after all it is his walk, I am only going along to give him exercise. Sometimes he just won't move unless I give him a treat.
    The other thing he has to do is go up to everyone to say hello. He would never jump up but expects everyone to say hello to him. If he knows someone is following us he won't go any further until they have caught up and said hello.
    If I stop to chat to someone, he has to join in the conversation by making strange kind of howling noises. People often ask me why he's doing it, and I just say he likes to talk!

4. install

install Star commenter

Our retriever pulls, tugs and drags the lead where she wants to go- tongue hanging out all the way. Once let off the lead on the land, she runs and runs ... none stop. If we didn’t catch up with her eventually, I think she would run herself into the ground.

Never aggressive. Gentle to all who come near her. Very quiet too.

5. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

This thread is the ideal time to post my favourite video of somebody faking their own collapse during the dog walk, in order to put their dog's rescue skills to the test

6. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

This is more about my dog when we get to the end of the walk, because it's the most notable thing about it. A few months after we got her, she started cowering in our street when we were walking towards the house. Not just cowering - she'd hunch down on the path and it got to the point where the carry-on got so protracted I'd have to carry her inside (not that easy, she's half lab half collie) I thought something had traumatised her - maybe the scent of a fox or a Tom cat, I just didn't know, and I'm sure any neighbours watching must have thought I was abusing her. This went on for aaaages (she still does it) and then I saw this video and it all fell into place. I don't have to carry her any more as I have a technique to usher her into the front garden, but honestly, when I'm in a hurry it's quite frustrating! :-D

diddydave, vannie and smoothnewt like this.
  7. Flowersinspring

Flowersinspring Lead commenter

Our lab will approach any dog, shoulder first and will knock them to un-nerve them. He'll then grasp the opportunity to mount them. He never used to do this. I think it's since the mad puppy came on the scene. He also sulks when I go the "wrong" way. He finds balls on most walks which causes problems as he won't drop them to play which causes mad puppy to hassle him for the rest of the walk.

The mad puppy golden retriever has grown into a mad adolescent who LOVES LIFE AND DOGS AND PEOPLE and has to run everywhere because LIFE IS ACE!!!!!!!!!!!!! He's here, there, behind, in front, up a tree, in the canal, trying to get the wrong car....

Such different personalities. I love my boys so much.

8. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

We head off to the fields where he can come off his lead. He loves to dive into the hedgerows and flush out pheasants and hares which he the chases until he is just a small speck in the distance. Then, To cool himself down, he throws himself into the nearest puddle and lays down in it and has a drink. When it's time to leave the field I have to tempt him to me with treats to get him clipped back on his lead.
    If we go out somewhere different and he sees a gate he always lays down and 'asks' to go through the gate because he thinks it will be a field on the other side where he can play. He does it at the gate which leads to the campsite and refuses to move.

9. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Nice idea for a thread, DoY. :)
    We became accidental dog owners in our 20s when my Dad died and my Mum wasn’t prepared to take over dog-walking responsibilities. So he came to live with us. Such happy times. Although I was teaching, this was in the golden years of the mid-1980s when teaching was a gentler profession. Living fairly near the school, I could get home to walk him at lunchtime. As we finished for the day at 2.40pm, I used to bring him back to school with me after lunch and he would happily sit in the car in the shade until I left - on the bell. By 2.50pm I would be walking him either on the beach or by the river.
    He was a great character: collie/whippet cross. Mad but so loyal and loving. Slightly hysterical. Never really needed to be walked on a lead. Hated water, so would avoid getting his feet wet.
    When he passed on, it coincided with us having two children under three and me still working full time, so we felt we could not commit to another.
    Now I am retired but have got used to us being totally free. Scared to commit to another dog so far due to the ties. Would never say never, though.

10. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Our cat often follows us when we walk the dog, at least part of the way. It's quite sweet that they don't fight like they occasionally do indoors. Strangely, no matter how desperate the dog is to do a poo, he won't do it with the cat watching.

11. Pageant

Pageant Occasional commenter

Charlie bless him is a very quirky cairn aged five. Presently his absolute best walks consist of endlessly sniffing and pouncing through the grass tussocks on an empty field where no one else wants to go. He would make a BRILLIANT sniffer dog if he had even a tiny modicum of recall. As it is I have him on a long lead and I follow on behind. Luckily he doesn't pull me because the ground is VERY uneven and after an hour, it kills my back. He on the other hand would be there all day, it's his dream come true. Whoever would have thought it. For the first time he has absolute freedom to go where he likes, sniff where he likes and not have me pulling him away all the time just so we can go in a straight line from A to B. Straight lines no longer exist for Charlie He is living the life ......... :)

diddydave, coffeekid and smoothnewt like this.