1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Deputy Safeguarding Lead/Officer

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Marshall, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Marshall

Marshall Lead commenter

Could a HLTA carry this out (obviously after training)?

Thanks,

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I my school (large secondary) we had 3 Deputy DSLs and one was the senior learning mentor. She was excellent at it.

KCSIE says that the safeguarding lead must be a "senior member of staff... [with] ... the appropriate status and authority within the school to carry out the duties of the post" but it doesn't anything about who can be Deputy DSLs. Only that "Any deputies should be trained to the same standard as the designated safeguarding lead and the role should be explicit in their job description".

Ofsted came and went, LA did Safeguarding audits, neither ever suggested a Deputy DSL must be a teacher or be on SLT.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

We are independent, but have one who is a completely unqualified TA... :rolleyes:
    So yes, I would think an HLTA could in a state school.

4. cornflake

cornflake Established commenter

A TA is just taking on this role in my school. It was questioned, but is better placed to conduct the role than any teacher; and arguably more easily able to deal with any emergency should it be required.

strawbs likes this.
  5. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

quite common, I think

6. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

We have seven members of our safeguarding team. Four are SLT - a DHT and 3 HoKS. One is the SENCO. The other two are the behaviour support team neither of whom is a teacher. Due to their availability, it is often the the non-teachers who are found first with any safeguarding issue.

install likes this.
  7. abacus1982

abacus1982 Occasional commenter

I think a lot of pastoral / family support / well-being roles are also deputy safeguarding lead. They are often the ones who are most likely to have something disclosed to them and work closely with families in a number of schools.

strawbs likes this.
  8. Marshall

Marshall Lead commenter

Thank you - that's really helpful.

9. install

install Star commenter

Wouldn't dream of using.an hlta but have worked in very large secondaries.:)