1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Deputy or assistant?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by NQT08, Oct 23, 2015.

1. NQT08

NQT08 Occasional commenter

I'm looking at applying for deputy or assistant head jobs for Easter or September start - primary. I'm currently a middle leader and have lots of good experience.
    I see my possible options as:
    1) deputy in a 1 form entry primary school.
    2) Assistant head in a larger primary school where there is a deputy so I wouldn't be next in line if the head was off
    3) Assistant head in a larger primary where there is no deputy so I would be next in line if the head was off

Any thoughts about the pros and cons of each?
    (I know the difference between deputy and assistant if the head goes off long term)
    Would there be much difference between #1 and #3 if the head stayed long term and didn't have a long period of time off?
    Thanks!

2. Ladykaza

Ladykaza Senior commenter

I can see that you're looking at this in the longer term , with an eye to future progression but personally I would, and indeed did, approach it from a different angle.

I looked carefully at a range of vacancies as they came up. My focus was what could I offer to this school, what the post had to offer me in terms of development opportunities and whether it was a good fit. After all this is a place you will work, and a team you will help to lead for a number of years.

You need to look very closely at the job description, at the roles and responsibilities as, in my experience there is no such thing as a typical deputy/assistant head post. There will always be variations based on the context.

May not be that helpful, so ignore if you please.

3. michaelt1979

michaelt1979 Occasional commenter

To be honest, the definition of the roles depends so much on the individual school that I don't think anyone can offer much advice.
    I'd focus on finding the right school, and the right job description... And then weigh up the job title as part of the mix.

4. michaelt1979

Ah... Ladykaza beat me to it

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

And both of you got there before me!

(But neither of you two has managed to find the PMs that I sent you a little while ago. Or if you did, you are deliberately ignoring me. :p )

I would also suggest that you do a draft E.S. to see if you match up to what they are looking for, as well as checking that they are offering the job that would be right for you.

Step-by-step: How to write an E.S. *** More basic advice ***

Executive summaries - where to start when no person specification

Best wishes

6. Ladykaza

Never Theo, just need a bit of a bigger flag that a PM has arrived.

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, after "knowing" each other on these forums for four years now, @Ladykaza , I knew it was an oversight.

Then go and bump and then LIKE this suggestion to Tes!

3 Stars and a Wish for nu-TES

Best wishes

8. Ladykaza

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

;)

Let's hope that it pays off and we get that!

Best wishes

10. NQT08

Thanks for the replies and advice.

11. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

12. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

The question you've got to ask yourself is: 'Do I feel ready to step up?' How many years have you been a middle leader? HTs and governors will be seeking to appoint a very experienced candidate who is able to take on the responsibilities of managing the entire school from day 1. What happens if your HT was to fall Ill on your first day? You'll be required to lead the school, make decisions etc. Consider it first, even ask your line manager about your progression and whether they feel that you are ready for a promotion.

13. NQT08

I've been told to apply for a promotion. I was going to do so anyway but being told to has given me more the assurance that it is the right thing to do.
    In terms of covering for the head, if they are out for a day on a course or off sick for a couple of days I would be fine with that. If they went off sick with stress, for example, for 3 months then I wouldn't be comfortable with that. Maybe that answers my own question but should I not apply for jobs that I could potentially get and do a good job in on the off chance and unlikely event that something goes drastically wrong with the head?

14. michaelt1979

Be careful of being over-cautious. While what jago123 says has some truth behind it, the reality is that no deputy on their first day is prepared to take on leadership of the whole school. If they were, then they'd be applying for headships.

Schoolcoachguru likes this.