1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Deputy HT to Class Teaching

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by izzywhizzal, Oct 25, 2015.

1. izzywhizzal

izzywhizzal Occasional commenter

In a tricky situation. About to resign. Dare not release details publicly. Thinking of applying for teaching posts elsewhere. Of course, at present, I am on Leadership Pay. I wonder how it all works - would I be on MPS or UPS? I did go through threshold many years ago. I have been cornered. Also, can I resign and continue to fight the ridiculous accusations? Thank you Theo for your helpful posts recently. Makes me feel supported that I am certainly not the only one.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Either. The system changed two years ago now, there is no guarantee that you would get any particular pay level, except that it would be less than at present.

No more Pay Portability, no more pay scale, no more automatic moving up the scale.

Yes, but do talk to your Union first. Resignation may be interpreted by some as admission of guilt. Get in touch with Regional Office tomorrow.

My pleasure, glad I can help.

Best wishes

3. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Do you actually have to resign? Or does someone just want you gone? Could it possibly help your situation to give up Leadership role and step down to normal teacher? I refer you to STPCD 2015 para 14.2 c) which seems to suggest that if you step down from Leadership role you will be put on UPS1 at a minimum. I wouldn't hold out much hope for Union help, they all just seem to be telling everyone to go for a negotiated settlement to ***** off.

4. drek

drek Star commenter

If I were you I would look for another leadership role asap.
    The prognosis is not good on the other side. ask yourself, how willing and how good are you at role playing?
    Imagine the current plight of experienced teachers, being told by staff who've only just come into teaching, what they expect to see as examples of good and outstanding 'performance'. 'For the children...awwww'. You may get on their nerves if you mention something that your experience says will double workloads, but serves no useful purpose.
    It may affect your performance management as they get their side to their line manager and the innocent remark you made, to streamline a procedure, make you a target instead.
    (e.g marking is a sensitive subject with middle leaders jostling to turn their dept policy into whole school policy.....kerching)
    You will have to pretend that the new 'strategy' has never been heard of before, with just the right amount of enthusiasm, or risk ego upsetting the new born leader, who simply introduces more departmental 'procedures' knowing full well that it will have to be carried out at home, in order to comply with. i. e. Puts you on Less pay per hour with a snap of their fingers, loudly preaching meanwhile, about how much extra work they do and that they can't do enough of it for the children to motivate lazy you!
    You have to remember to stay dummified to leave with a good reference.
    You may even have to enthuse how doing all those extra hours is improving your performance, when in actual fact you and many other staff on full teaching time-tables, end up looking like the walking dead, and it is very very obvious that none of you are getting enough rest to deal with the next days workload.

5. drek

drek Star commenter

Supply staff on the other hand don't have these issues to worry about, although there are now so many experienced staff that they tend to slip into the old ways of doing more and more for the same pay, which to anyone who has passed their GCSE in maths with a decent grade, means less pay!
    I guess for those still living with parents, money is not an issue, and by the time it does become one, they are on the leadership scale.

6. izzywhizzal

7. izzywhizzal

Yep, I get all of that! This is so tricky as I am terrified of posting details but the situation is SO unacceptable. Next question: went to doctor because I lost feeling in lower left arm after I'd been hollered at for the third time (for no reason). This lasted about a day. Doc has signed me off and union advised the same. I tried not to let it ruin half term but it has. Waking up with it all going round and round in my head. But ...feeling better than I was. If I go back in, I have already worked out how she will get me next. She has said that I will never get another job if there is another incident, when...honestly, I am being victimised. Sorry for rambling but in a right mess. Partner says should not go off sick, no matter what cos I won't be able to get another job. Thx 4 advice re stepping down and salary but I don't know how I will work in the same school without throttling her!

8. drek

drek Star commenter

Health is the most important thing. My sympathies about current situation. Two possibilities. Go back, and put in your resignation. That may give you enough time to look for an equivalent post for Easter and also put your health and home life as your top priorities, not some worthless individual with more power than sense. They can take your career away on fabricated bull, don't let them take your sense of self worth too. The other choice is to take it day by day, but the stress can have long term consequences on your health.
    coming back to a non leadership role, will be easier at a new school. You also won't have to deal with the comments and questions from the rest of the staff body, you can put your head down and just get on with teaching, (until the next person wants a piece of you or your job).
    There is no longer a case of two sides to every coin, only the head's and their team's side. How can one individual ever hope to prove anything against an entire team of people brought together, and trained to serve one or two specific purposes, and then go on to institutionalise it by 'sharing' the best ways, this side of legal, to get it done.

9. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Your partner is mistaken. A couple of years ago I was off for three months March - June, left that post in the August and started a new one in the January. Two other friends (from the same school, don't ask!) were off for even longer than me in the same academic year and both started new posts in the September. Two more people were off for over 6 months last year, half pay was better than being at work (Yes same school again, you've got the idea!) and both started new posts this September.

If this person is basically threatening you for one more fabricated incident, then it isn't safe for you to be at work. Try not to hand your notice in until you have secured another post or your union have secured an agreed reference. They appear to want rid of you, so they may even release you early if you're lucky and secure a post where the school want you sooner. No reason to take a step down from leadership unless you want to.

Throttling a colleague, however much they deserve it, will definitely stop you working again!

10. izzywhizzal

The throttling bit was definitely a joke! Trying to find humour in this desperate situation. The truth is that I simply am not well enough as much as I would like to fight this situation. Even this morning, I am in tears, so must not go in...thanks for helping.

11. izzywhizzal

lardylegs likes this.