1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Deputy Headteacher interview tasks...

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by mickeyforpresident, Feb 5, 2011.

1. mickeyforpresident

mickeyforpresident New commenter

Hi

I'm (technically my govs) about to recruit a new deputy - im extremely excited about this.... govs have asked me to set up a day, ahead of formal interviews for candidates to spend in school doing assessed tasks. I've also spoken to my staff who wanted to have an input into the process...
    Any ideas.... i'm toying with asking them to take assembly, joint lesson observation, presenting their philosophy to staff, proposing a key question to "discover" which will be the presentation to begin the formal interviews with, what about council interview. My staff were very adament that they want a dynamic person, with "presence" who would be their to help them - how do you test and assess for that???

Thanks for any ideas......

2. mickeyforpresident

Hi

I'm (technically my govs) about to recruit a new deputy - im extremely excited about this.... govs have asked me to set up a day, ahead of formal interviews for candidates to spend in school doing assessed tasks. I've also spoken to my staff who wanted to have an input into the process...
    Any ideas.... i'm toying with asking them to take assembly, joint lesson observation, presenting their philosophy to staff, proposing a key question to "discover" which will be the presentation to begin the formal interviews with, what about council interview. My staff were very adament that they want a dynamic person, with "presence" who would be their to help them - how do you test and assess for that???

Thanks for any ideas......

3. When you ask the candidates to observe a lesson see how they feedback to the staff member, if you have someone who is self-aware and can put in some ringers and then judge how good they are at supporting staff? Do you get what I mean? I would want someone who could talk positively about teaching, not be patronising and gain the trust of staff in what they say. I know of someone who goes to see the staff in the home schools before inviting them to the interview days? But that could cost you a lot of cover, easier in secondary!

4. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

If I were you, I;d be giving them a spelling test.

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

A friend of mine, interviewed for her second deputy headship in primary, was visited by the head at her home school and observed in the classroom. She got the job (after the formal interview process, etc, of course).
    She felt it was a very good idea indeed, giving the head a good view of how she taught, ran her classroom, her relationships with the children, etc. He looked at the children's work, watched a morning's lessons and chatted to her headteacher.

6. mickeyforpresident

!!!!!

Thanks for replies so far.... bump!

7. In my "home" school, I was observed teaching my own class by the Head and one of the Governors.
    In the "new" school, I did an assembly (to children + governors), met staff "informally" at breaktime and did a presentation to Governors on some school Raiseonline data that I'd been given about 20 minutes before.
    This was followed by a formal interview session.
    This took most of the day and early afternoon. I got the (good!) news around the end of the afternoon.
    C x