1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Deputy headship

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by cool05, Sep 5, 2015.

1. cool05

cool05 New commenter

Hi all, am applying for a deputy head's job (primary) and would love advice from any veterans as to how to go about writing the supporting statement- all ideas gratefully received!

cool_2oo5@yahoo.com

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Oops - not a good idea to put your e-mail on a public site - the web crawlers can find it and you'll have an inbox full of spam . . . next time, put it like this: . .

cool_2oo5 at yahoo dot com This will not be recognised by the crawlers as an e-mail.

Now for the query: The basic rule for an application is that you should show that you comply with the requirements for the post, as they are set out in the Job Description and the Person specification.

So make sure that you show that clearly in your application!

The second rule is that it should be your own work. Some Local Authorities are using software similar to that used by UCAS to detect *cough* non-original personal statements. If there is the slightest hint of plagiarism in an application, it will get binned. Reading an example of someone else's application can tend to leave a memory in your mind as you write your own, so best to avoid it.

And of course it needs to be your own work so that it reflects accurately who and what you are, otherwise you might get a job in a school that doesn't fit with you as a person.

Start reading the (relevant) advice here - there may be some that aren't relevant for you.

Applying for a job in a school I suggest that you read these in this order.

Do I have to tell my Head I am applying elsewhere?

Pre-application visits to schools

<h4>Why you should always include an E.S. in an application***NEW ***</h4>
    How to get shortlisted for a teaching job *** The basic advice***

How NOT to get shortlisted

How do schools shortlist candidates?

Common errors found in applications

The Truth, the Whole Truth, and Nothing but the Truth!

Who should be my referees?

Can I see my references?

Can your Head write a negative reference for you? Or refuse to write one? Can you see what was written... ***NEW ***

Step-by-step: How to write an E.S. *** More basic advice ***

Executive summaries - where to start when no person specification

Person Spec too long - how do I do an E.S.? And where do I put it? *** Beginners start here ***

Application form: how to present long list of posts outside education

How can I provide details of examination results?

Can I omit, on an application, a period spent teaching abroad?

No CPD to put on the application form!

5 common errors in applications

Good luck!

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

3. abacus1982

abacus1982 Established commenter

Look at the schools data and previous OFSTED report to identify the areas the school needs to develop. Evidence in your statement how you can lead them towards improving these areas.

4. cool05

cool05 New commenter

Thank you very much. I feel a lot better after getting some good advice.