1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Deputy Head workload

Discussion in 'Primary' started by jellytots100, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Hi, I was wondering if there is anyone out there who could post details of their responsibilities as a deputy, or of those of the deputy in their school?

Just info such as; do you teach full time, and if so, in which year group?

What subjects or areas are you responsible for and what other duties are you expected to perform?

Thanks for your help.

2. cleggy1611

cleggy1611 New commenter

Hi. I was dht for 7 years and taught y5 and 6 full time.

Additionally, responsibilities were:

Assembly rota and topics

Data coordinator including summarising raise online report for governors, preparing for inspection, updating cohort files, updating sections of sef, etc

Literacy coordinator

Break duties (usually 3 a week)

Lunchtime hall duty (usually for the full lunchtime)

History coordinator

Music coordinator

Residential every other year

Deputising for ht when off for a term

Attending any lunchtime meetings re progress

Performance management of selected staff

Student mentor

Assertive mentoring lead

It finished me. I no longer teach. Not because I hated it but because I just didn't have time to do it and maintain some sort of family life. It got worse and worse. In the end, all teaching staff had to highlight every area of the curriculum for every child to show coverage and progress.

This probably isn't what you want to hear. It might be better in other schools.

3. Thanks. It's what I thought I might hear, and is almost identical to what I am experiencing right now. I don't want to give it up, but can't sustain it for much longer.

Any tips on managing workload/time management?

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I think you'll find teaching full-time and being a DH, standing in for Head as required etc., fairly standard in Primary.

Larger schools may have a little more leeway for 'management' time. Years ago I taught at a 3 form entry school and the DH had one day off a week, but it's more usual to just have an afternoon - if you're lucky.

5. spmills

spmills New commenter

That amount of time out seems very harsh for such a key leadership position within a school. I am beginning my first Deputy Headship in September and am teaching every morning across Y5/6. I have every afternoon out to fulfil my leadership responsibilities which include curriculum, child protection, assessment, CPD, whole school literacy and, of course, stepping up to replace the head when they are working for the trust.

6. clawthorpegirl

clawthorpegirl New commenter

I'm DHT for 2 form entry primary. I teach equivalent 1 day week but am also SENCo, safeguarding, designated teacher, assessment lead, attendance lead etc- couldn't even try to fit all in with a class too! Local schools to me all seem to have non class based DHT.

7. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

We don't have a DH so I'm the AH but my role encompasses

teaching year 4/5/6 for 4 days a week ( half a day AH role, half a day supposedly PPA time but never actually used as such!)

Additionally, responsibilities include

Assembly rota and topics, two assemblies a week for me

Data coordinator including summarising raise online report for governors, preparing for inspection, updating cohort files, updating sections of sef, calculating of whole school data such as percentile score tracking,

Maths coordinator.

RE co-ordinator

curriculum co-ordinator

Community cohesion/international schools

Break duties (usually 2 a week) plius if anyone is absent, I cover at break/lunchtime

Residential every year

Deputising for ht when off site

Performance management of TAs

Student/NQT mentor

safeguarding officer

and probably a few other things too!!

8. titus4t

titus4t New commenter

This is really interesting as my HT is trying to rewrite my job description for the new year.

She wants me to:

Teach yr 2/3 with 0.05 AHT time (I.5 hrs a week)

DSL

English co-ordinator

Teaching, Learning and Assessment co-ordinator - monitor the effectiveness of planning and teaching; Monitor standards of achievement

Manage staff development - identify appropriate development issues through book scrutiny, planning scrutiny and lesson observation

Monitor the contribution and impact of other staff groups to school improvement (TAs?)

Guide staff in the provision of and monitor Effective Learning Environments

Formulate new School Improvement plans and associated budget requirements

Monitor standards of behaviour and further develop positive attitudes to learning

Deputize

Share responsibility for pastoral care and welfare of staff

Data analysis, identify school improvement issues key reports to governors, SEF

Monitor and resource the whole curriculum

Share PTA liaison with the HT

Performance Management for teachers and support staff

Rotas and timetables

Deployment of staff

Lead collective worship

Enhance the school environment ensuring that it is clean and tidy

Break duty and lunch duties as required

and any other duties that could reasonable be delegated.

I work in a smallish school and am on L5 (the top of my scale)

I'm speaking to my union

9. ShadowMan

ShadowMan New commenter

Ha! Just one and a half days left for me in my DH role!