1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Deputy Head - workload

Discussion in 'Personal' started by newsforu, Mar 13, 2011.

1. I am an Assistant Head (Secondary) working 50-55 hrs per week + some holiday time (but will do extra if needed) and am looking for Deputy Head jobs. I have read that average DH workload is 53hrs but that about 25% do 60 hrs, and top 10% do 65+ hrs. I don't want to end up working 70 hours per week as a Deputy for £4000 extra. How can I broach this subject with prospective schools without sounding work-shy? Can a deputy head have work-life balance?

2. I am an Assistant Head (Secondary) working 50-55 hrs per week + some holiday time (but will do extra if needed) and am looking for Deputy Head jobs. I have read that average DH workload is 53hrs but that about 25% do 60 hrs, and top 10% do 65+ hrs. I don't want to end up working 70 hours per week as a Deputy for £4000 extra. How can I broach this subject with prospective schools without sounding work-shy? Can a deputy head have work-life balance?