1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Deputy Head Teacher interview presentation

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by lizell, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Hi, I'm after some advice. I have an interview for a deputy head's job in a week. I have to give a 10 minute presentation on 'high achievement at ...' Its a primary school. The problem I'm finding is I would like to discuss my direction with someone but can't at school. Would you go down the line of how to ensure achievement is high, what high achievement looks like or how to raise attainment to a high level?
    Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Personally, I would go along the lines of 'What YOU think high achievement is, how you can measure it, ensure you make progress across the school in it etc. all the things you've mentioned, but YOUR ideas.
    If you're going to work as a DH in a Primary school, it's even more important you share the same aspirations and values as the Head, so this is your opportunity to show them 'your take' on it and if it's the same as the Head's . . . . If not you probably wouldn't be happy there anyway.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done on getting that interview!
    Your vision for the future of this new school, and how you would achieve it, is what is being looked for here. Is it a reasonable vision? Is it an achievable vision? Is it a visionary vision! Does this vision fit with theirs?
    I note that you say:
    and also
    I wonder if you are quite confident about which of these fits with their vision?
    I think it might be helpful for you to re-read the school development plan (or look at a very recent Ofsted if there has been one), to decide which is the more appropriate.
    Plus, of course, you should read the Interview clickables inside the Welcome thread at the top of the page, to get general tips on interviews.
    We wish all the best for your interview.
    If this one turns out not to be the one for you, you might be interested in coming to our half-day seminar on Moving into Headship or SLT to be held on Saturday 18th February, a half-day session either morning or afternoon, in central London.
    More details about it here:
    Moving from HoD to AHT
    Very best wishes for next week!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com