1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Deputy Head Pay

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Keighleigh, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Keighleigh

Keighleigh New commenter

Do Deputies go up one point on the scale every year or not? Where is the policy for this as I am hearing different things.

Thanks

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Not automatically, no. After your PM review, the headmakes a recommendation to the governing body as to whether you should get the next available increment (anbd when you've onne left, that's it) or not.
    The governing body do not have to agree with the head, who does not have to recommend that yuou get an increment.

3. Keighleigh

Keighleigh New commenter

So, it's down to the Head. Recommendation can be for any number of points then? E.g A point for a good Ofsted? Etc Is it all done through the PM meetings? Met target? Recommend pay rise, not met targets, not recommending payrise? Are Deputies still a part of the STPC? If the Deputy didn't agree would it go to governors pay committee?

Sorry about all of the questions, just want to understand it.

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

You can't have more than 2 in one year, though never hold your breath for 2! Seriously, it is all down to the head's recoomendation in most cases, though governors can - as I said - disagree either way. I've never known them over-rule the head not recommending,however. Meeting your targets is expected by most heads and governors - going above and beyond is often expected for award of points.
    And yes - if you were not recommended a point you could appeal to the pay appeals committee, but obviously you'd need an excellent case, not just 'I think I deserve one'. If they say 'no', that's it.
    The main issue is - there's no hard and fast rule about whether you 'should' get a point. It's down to the head, your relationship with him/her, your performance and - crucially - the governors.

5. Keighleigh

Keighleigh New commenter

Well you learn something new everyday! Had NO IDEA DHT pay operated like this. Thanks MM, might just send you a message to get some career advice too if you don't mind! Great advice! Thanks again!