1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Deputy head letter fo application - how long??

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by creativelady, May 16, 2011.

1. I'm applying for Deputy Head positions and so far have had a few interviews - needless to say I have not been successful yet.

However, I have applied for several and not been selected for interview when I know that someone with less experience than me has been selected. This is not a case of 'sour grapes', just that my letter of application is approx. 10 pages long! This partly due to me working both in school and for the LA, therefore I have had to combine both experiences into the person spec.

Is 10 pages too long? Should I risk not including examples or experience for a short letter?

Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks in advance

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Far too long. No more than 3 pages - some schools specify no more than two, in my experience. As a head, I would certainly stop wanting to read after 3 sides and an inability to precis would definitely preclude you from getting shortlisted -heads want people who can be succinct.
    You don't have to talk about everything you've done - you have to be selective, choosing experiences and examples that support you as an applicant for this particular job.
    That you might have more experience than some shortlisted candidates is neither here nor there - (a) your experience might not have made you as good an applicant as their (shorter) experience has made them and (b) your experience might be not as relevant as theirs; moreover, as you're clearly burying what is relevant in too much writing, heads are unable to identify your skills, qualities and experience.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Good gracious, yes!
    Middlemarsh is being very kind and noble by reading 3 pages; very many shortlisting panels would not even start reading a letter that long, I'm afraid.
    I suggest that you go to JobSeekers, open the Welcome thread and read the shortlisting clickables. These will give you loads of advice for writing an application that is effective in showing your strengths. There will be quite a lot of competition, as the number of DHT posts being advertised is falling, but Education Departments in Local Authorities are closing Advisory Services, and the staff from there are trying to get back into schools as DHTs in many cases. It's therefore important that you produce the best possible application.
    And look at this . . .
    Another Moving into SLT/Headship seminar in response to demand

Best wishes

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the
    Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive
    summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really
    appreciate.

The Job Seminars are all sold out, I'm afraid, but Julia is planning some more later on.

A new SLT seminar is available now on 22 May <u>www.tesweekendworkshop32.eventbrite.com</u>, and another is planned for 18 June.

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.

Look forward to seeing you!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Somebody has just in the last few minutes told us that they got a Headship after attending one of the Moving into Headship and SLT seminars:
    Dear Theo - I got the job!
    It's good to read of a success story!

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the
    Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive
    summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really
    appreciate.

The Job Seminars are all sold out, I'm afraid, but Julia is planning some more later on.

A new SLT seminar is available now on 22 May <u>www.tesweekendworkshop32.eventbrite.com</u>, and another is planned for 18 June.

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.

Look forward to seeing you!

5. Just to say 'thank you' for your advice. I re-read my form and cut out some of the points made but I actually kept it at 7 or 8 pages as it was all relevant and...... I have a Deputy Headship appointment. Very pleased and the school did actually comment on the quality of my application form.

Thanks again but glad I didn't cut it down too much

6. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

You were lucky, then.
    Mine was never longer than 2 sides and I never failed to get an interview.
    My headship letter was two and a half sides and I got appointed to the first one I applied for.
    The advice from Theo stands as extremely good advice for anyone applying for deputy or head.