1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Deputy Head Interview

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by MLR36, Feb 26, 2016.

1. MLR36

MLR36 New commenter

Hi all,

I'm lucky enough to have been shortlisted for a deputy head post at a CofE primary school.

It's my first interview for a Deputy Head, I haven't received the interview Letter yet (just an email confirming) could anyone provide me with any advice on what I should expect? I've been told it's over 2 days.

Thanks in advance x

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done! You have already impressed them!

What should you expect? A variety of tasks that will relate to the Job Description and Person Specification. So work hard on developing your mindmaps based on the JD & PS so that you are feeling confident. There may well be something about data . . . mug it up now!

Quite often they send some people home at the end of Day 1 . . . just warning you! And those that remain are often asked to prepare something overnight. If you will be away from home, take a laptop with you and ensure your hotel has wifi.

Here is the general interview advice from the Professional Advice Hub.

Interviews advice: I have included here links that may not be relevant to you, for the benefit of other posters.

3. Preparing for Interview I suggest that you read these in this order

Help, I've got an interview! *** The basic advice ***

Teaching an observed lesson at interview

Using mind-mapping for interviews *** The best-loved advice ***

Tell us about yourself - dream or nightmare question? *** Read and note this ***

Daft Interview Questions

What shall I wear to the interview?

Interviews – making a positive first impression

How do you decide who to appoint?

What excuse can I give for going to interview?

Child Protection: the questions, NOT the answers

A typical Child Protection Policy

Two interviews and a dilemma

Interview feedback - they blamed my experience, but they knew that when they shortlisted me!

SLT interviews - possible questions

In-tray exercises. Deputy Head

Assistant Head interviews

General interview questions

Questions to ask at the end of your interview

On here we have a very nice tradition that when you actually get a job, you started a brand-new thread (not adding it to this one - a brand-new thread) where you told us your good news. You call it Dear Theo - I got that job! and this gives everyone a chance to congratulate you. It also gives them hope and inspiration for their own jobseeking, to see you successful.

Make sure you congratulate someone when you see a thread like that!

So I will end by saying that we look forward to seeing your Dear Theo - I got that job!

Best wishes

ClaireDanielleJones likes this.
  3. MLR36

MLR36 New commenter

Thank you so much Theo!

I have been busy prepping for my observed lesson & presentation. Lots of reading!

I will let you know how I get on

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Best of luck!