1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Deputy head interview

Discussion in 'Primary' started by kaz_allan, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Hi

I have an interview in a primary school after half term and have been told I will have a skills task to do. Any ideas what this might be or has anyone done a similar task at interview before?

Thanks for any advice this is my first interview of this type.

2. Hi

I have an interview in a primary school after half term and have been told I will have a skills task to do. Any ideas what this might be or has anyone done a similar task at interview before?

Thanks for any advice this is my first interview of this type.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Ask on SMT forum, they will know. Probably.

4. Look at the criteria on the job spec. It will have a key for each crtierion: usually A- application; R- reference; I-interview (but there will be a key).
    Look for the crtieria with the I (or T for task sometimes) and consider what tasks might be asked of you to demonstrate this.
    There might be a report to write on data, letter to a parent, lesson feedback, assessment task, 'in tray', role play, action planning, unseen presentaton. These should match with the job spec and you'll be scored on each one.

5. Good idea thank you much appreciated.

6. I had a task at a DHT interview which was a letter in response to a parent complaint, written as DHT because head was out of school. Not sure if this is a common 'skills task'. There was a time limit as well just to add to the pressure!!!! It wasn't specifically related to any one criterion in the job spec but I suppose it was deputising for the head as may be required.

7. Presentation to Govs based on 15-20 minutes looking at pages from their RaiseOnline report is another possibility.
    Whatever it is will be designed partly to assess your ability to think on your feet and make decisions/recommendations without a weekend to research/prepare!
    good luck...
    C x