1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

DEPUTY HEAD INTERVIEW: DESCRIPTIVE WRITNG... TASTING CURRY?!?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by minnieminx, Jun 16, 2011.

1. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Is it in your school? As in do you know the rules around food in the school and the allergies? If so and it is all fine then eys sounds good!

My year 6s would love it, but wouldn't need an hour to write a label. Maybe do a radio advert as well?

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

I think getting them to eat curry would be quite risky from a health and safety viewpoint. However, you ought to be able to use spices and their scents. Have a look at this in Resources:
    https://www.tes.co.uk/ResourceDetail.aspx?storyCode=3012485
    Grandpa Chatterji has a lovely description of an Indian meal time.

3. regretbeaucoup

regretbeaucoup New commenter

It doesn't tie in with your India theme, but I recently used Jaffa Cakes with Y6 class. 3 different flavours and textures and a challenge to find as many different describing words as possible. (They are made with pectin rather than gelatin, so shouldn't be any religious reasons for not eating).
    They could then do some S&L about each others' favourite foods and come up with some new combinations of their own - with descriptive writing of the imagined experience of eating it, or persuasive writing to get someone to try their sausage-egg-ketchup cake or whatever. Good luck.

4. I really like the idea! Any excuse for eating. I might try it with my year 3's, just because....lol

5. Yuk! As a child and adult have loathed and detested even the smell of curry! And all things spicy.... So what will you do with those, like me, who would refuse to touch it and thus have nothing to describe?

6. One of the best lesson I have seen on descriptive writing was where a teacher gave each child an orange sweet. It was designed to use all of the senses and I have repeated it with mints (I would suggest the white softmints for smaller children!)
    They had to describe what they could see, and use a simile. e.g. The sweet lay on the table shining like a pebble on the beach.
    If it's a wrapped sweet they can describe the sound of the wrapper coming off, and what it sounds like when you scrunch it up to put in the bin
    Then they could touch it and describe what it felt like.
    Then they got to smell it (you get the pattern now!!)
    Finally they got to eat it.
    Each step was done very slowly and deliberately, and I couldn't believe some of the writing the kids did, it blew me away!