1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Deputy Head class share

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by abacus1982, Sep 29, 2015.

1. abacus1982

abacus1982 Established commenter

I'm currently in my second year as a Deputy at a Primary school. Last year I taught groups in the mornings and had the afternoons as leadership time and to cover classes where teachers were on courses/subject leadership time. This year I am in class three days as a job share and have 2 days out as Deputy time. Whilst this is less teaching time than last year I am really struggling with both the teaching and leadership roles. I feel that I am getting by in class for three days and then chasing my tail for the next two. I have more responsibility than I did last year and am struggling to find time to be the quality of teacher and deputy I want to be. If anyone has any experience or advice on how to balance the two roles I would really appreciate it.

2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I found being a class teacher much better for me than doing cover, where I found behaviour management unexpectedly hard. I felt more comfortable with a class I could call my own. I felt closer to other staff when I had a class and made better informed decisions knowing exactly what policies felt like in practice. I don't say I was a great deputy but I did it for 13years. The rest is to do with list making and prioritising, compromising, smiling and gliding over mistakes like a graceful swan. I learnt the last one from my first head. She was teflon - double coated. Sometimes you just have to do it or you will lose your marbles. You can't spend your life lashing yourself with guilt. When things go wrong you have to put your energy into the next thing that is coming up and you can't afford selfrecrimination - it's toxic. Just make sure you don't make the same mistake twice. You may well think this is awful advice but there you go - I'm retired.

abacus1982 likes this.