1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Deputy Head at Infant School - good or bad long term career move?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Danger Mouse1, Jan 8, 2012.

1. I've been teaching for 7 years, currently part of SLT at a small 5-11 Primary. I'm looking for my next step as Deputy and have seen the perfect opportunity at an Outstanding Infant school. Am concerned though that this may narrow my choices for a later Dep Head or Head job at an all through primary school.

I am hoping for Headship eventually, so would a Deputy at an Infant school give me enough experience or would it limit my future job prospects? Any thoughts and advice gratefully received.

2. I've been teaching for 7 years, currently part of SLT at a small 5-11 Primary. I'm looking for my next step as Deputy and have seen the perfect opportunity at an Outstanding Infant school. Am concerned though that this may narrow my choices for a later Dep Head or Head job at an all through primary school.

I am hoping for Headship eventually, so would a Deputy at an Infant school give me enough experience or would it limit my future job prospects? Any thoughts and advice gratefully received.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

To get a HT role in a primary, you would probably need to have been a DH in a primary as well. But it is a good idea to have deputy experience in more than one school. So go for this one now, move to primary DH (possibly in a large school) later and then look at headship.

Or that's how I'd look at it anyway.

4. bigbev

bigbev New commenter

I have done this and it was a disaster! When you go round ask lots of questions. I went from being responsible for a team for performance management to doing nothing....and alot of other things to! If I had stayed I felt the job was de skilling me and not adding to the skills I already had. Most deputy jobs ask for teaching across the key stages....if you already have alot in KS2 great but just beware....perhaps you could ask if there was a chance of teaching in the feeder school to help with transition?