1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Deputising for HOD unofficially...how long is reasonable?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by minnieminx, Apr 13, 2012.

1. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Same for me. You don't get to be a second in dept and not take on the role of hod when needed. And there are two of you so you are only doing half the hod role anyway.

2. I agree short term, but losing 3 PPAs and no TLR/extra pay for 6 months (which is the minimum about of time the absence is scheduled to last) can't be right surely? You are right about only doing half the role in terms of workload, the other 2nd in dept has a similar list to the one above. I have been more than happy to cover short term in the past and have already been doing more to reduce the HOD's workload prior to the absence starting but if this is ok for 6 months plus why have reduced timetables and TLRs for HODs in the first place?

3. I have been in a similar position since the beginning of January, my HOD went off sick (stress related reasons0 and has not yet returned. Even though there are two Second in Depts, I have ended up doing the bulk of the extra work (SENCO stuff) as my colleague has no experience and I have been a SENCO before. But I did tell my line manager that I could not continue with all my Intervention teaching and so my teaching workload has been reduced to just my timetabled classes - although I offered to combine two classed so that my HOD's parallel class did not lose out on teaching time. In doing so, I have ended up with all the challenging (naughty) boys in one class - nightmare!
    I have no idea how long this will go on for, probably until September as I think my HOD is not coming back and the Head can then reorganise the whole dept. I have done all my own 2nd in Dpet work as well as the legal SENCO role (review meetings etc) and will be working hard on Ks2 to 3 SEN transition when we get back. I do not want the HOD role, too old and knackered to take on the responsibility again but need to show willing in case the Head decides on a radical overhaul and reduces staff in our team!!
    There has been no mention of extra pay or anything so I am hoping to get away with not doing all the data analysis and management stuff that a HOD has to do!!