1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dept time in new school

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by evivyover, Aug 7, 2019.

1. evivyover

evivyover New commenter

Hi all,
    I'm starting as HOD in a new school in sep. We have lots of dept time and I have to send out the agenda for the two days. I would like a bit of advice on what I should do. I was at my previous school for 7 years with little changes to the team and not as much dept time at the beginning of the year, so we knew what we were doing.
    I am the new one to the team, so I dont need to do the behaviour etc etc.
    • I need to look at the exit tickets in introducing and have some time as a dept to create some for the first h/t maybe
    •Possibly my general aims and goals for the dept
    • any changes I've made to SOW

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thank you all in advance.

2. Caymem

Caymem New commenter

what department are you head off?

3. Caymem

Caymem New commenter

another thing I would do on the first two days is make sure each classroom has a set of each of the textbooks used and each teacher has enough exercise books for each class, to make sure there is enough exercise books count how many students in each class and then out that many books in a box collecting all spear books at the end after each teacher has enough, collecting spears helps incase one teacher doesn't have enough books.

Do u get to decide what teacher has what group or not.

4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

What type of school do you teach in @Caymem? State school? Private?

Are you a Head of Department? Which subject?

5. Caymem

Caymem New commenter

I am acting head of department for Maths and IT Currently and I teach in a mainstream school.

6. Rott Weiler

State or private?

7. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

No, you are not.

8. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

Imaginary!

9. Caymem

Caymem New commenter

even if i dont then i still have brilliant ideas to help teachers

10. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

That is great. We are all for hearing about new ideas. Best not pretend you are something you are not, as it affects your credibility.

11. Rott Weiler

State or private school @Caymem ?

12. Caymem

Caymem New commenter

Ok thanks for the adive

13. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

?
    OP, I'd ask your line manager what the school would like-some schools I've worked in wanted data analysis on the first day. Have you been in for a vsiit-did you meet the outgoing HOD and anyone who could help?

14. evivyover

evivyover New commenter

Maths

15. evivyover

evivyover New commenter

Thanks for this.
    I will speak to the 2nd in dept. I think cause I dont have access to data so I never even thought about that. I would have analysed data previously though. The outgoing head is now SLT and not my LM. My new LM hasnt provided any info as yet. I only know about it because I have access to my new email and we got an email with the agenda for the first two days.

I will email new LM after results day as they are more likely to be off hols then.

Thanks for your help.

16. evivyover

evivyover New commenter

Its not helpful to anyone when you lie. These groups are about support. You cant support if you are being dishonest. Part of teaching is about having integrity you cant truly have that without honesty.

17. Caymem

Caymem New commenter

Im being honest?