1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dept & Subject possibly being eradicated - redundancy / TLR etc?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by ThereAreBunniesInMyHead, Jul 6, 2015.

1. ThereAreBunniesInMyHead

ThereAreBunniesInMyHead Occasional commenter

So to cut a long story short...

Government budget cuts / austerity measures mean my school is considering the idea that my dept & subject (just two teachers covering KS4 and KS5 only) is too expensive, and not essential, not deemed worthy enough by the Conservative govt because we are not core, and could be a place where cuts could be made. They are talking about stopping offering the subject to students altogether, and redeploying staff elsewhere in the school to save money.

The other teacher in my department is leaving teaching altogether this year which just leaves me in Sept anyway. If they start to close down my subject / dept over the course of the next year, do I lose my TLR as HOD and if so, is it protected for 2 years, even if I am not carrying out HOD duties?

If they do try to 'redeploy" me into other subjects then I would want to leave. My subject at the moment is quite technical and practical and the subjects they are talking of putting me in are not. Also as a KS4 and KS5 teacher I have virtually no experience with KS3 and they want to give me all KS3 lessons potentially. I know there are virtually no teaching jobs out there in my subject at the moment (because other schools are potentially facing the same cuts) so I may be forced to leave teaching altogether, especially as because of rent / childcare / family we are restricted to looking for employment only within an hour of where I am now). Would I be entitled to redundancy? Or, because they would be offering me a full timetable of teaching a load of other random subjects (albeit without my TLR), would I not be eligible for redundancy if I were to leave?

This is all still up in the air at the moment and they are really stringing it out right now and not giving me any real idea of what they are planning, but I just want an idea of what I am entitled to (if anything). I am just so mad, that after giving up a successful career in industry to retrain as a teacher eight years ago, I am now potentially looking at the end of my teaching career. I have been out of the industry for too long to return to it. And I can't find any other jobs where I could earn a similar salary as I am now.

2. wanet

wanet Star commenter

If there were going to be redundancies the process would have strated some time ago.

3. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Union, ASAP. Look to negotiate a pay off if you can...

NB can you go back to your previous career?

4. kittylion

kittylion Senior commenter

Similar things happened in my school a few years ago - salaries were protected for 3 years as I remember it even though people were not doing the jobs they were originally paid those salaries for.

It sounds as though they are avoiding making you redundant by saying there is work for you in the school. If it is an LEA school, they could even redeploy you across the authority to avoid redundancy - and as Wanet says, there is a particular process to redundancy and the unions have to be involved.

I took redundancy last year and they don't pay that much - I think our authority pays a week's salary per year employed between ages 22 and 41 and thereafter it was 1.5 weeks per year. Even those who had been there 30 years or more lost out because the length of service is capped at 20 years anyway.

Presumably next year you will have to be there to continue any exam classes which have started this year though?

It is such a shame this has happened to you when you had a successful career before.

5. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

Redundancy occurs in one of three situations: closure of a business, closure of a workplace, or diminishing need for employees. They should consult, including looking at ways of avoiding, minimising the numbers, or mitigating the consequences. Also, if an employee refuses an alternative offer of employment, the redundancy could be forfeited. It looks like the school is complying with the law. The TLR would be protected and capped for up to 3 years.

6. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

...and if they can't be ***** to do any of that, they call it 'restructuring' and get rid of the employee under SOSR!

You think I'm joking...

7. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

No, I don't. I know you are not. Otherwise, why would some redundancy policies be renamed restructuring policies? It is not a question of semantics.

8. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

As my wife could tell you, that is how they have been reducing staff in the Health Service for the last ten years!