1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dept of Ed school workforce figures

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by historygrump, Feb 25, 2011.

1. historygrump

historygrump Occasional commenter Forum guide

I was looking for something about the Education Bill and by the fact I believe the H of C wants official comments I believe.
    However I came across the school work force report (published May 2010) by the dept of education and it makes interesting reading for the number employed in schools.
    LA maintained schools
    Teacher recruitment for permanent posts
    Primary up by 2,300 to 200,900 in posts Secondary down by 2,300 to 210,300 in posts SEN/Pru down by 80 to 21,300 in posts
    Number of support staff
    TA's up by 8,300 to 190,400
    Other support staff up by 2,900 to 64,800
    Admin staff in post was 72,300 and techicians in post was 23,800.

so the LA maintained schools recruited an additonal 11,000 TA's and other support staff in the year 2009-2010, and we wonder why teachers cannot get jobs or much supply work.

2. historygrump

historygrump Occasional commenter Forum guide

I meant technicians, sorry.

3. We have a large TA team, recruited over the last 2.5 years (new school) but only HLTA is used as emergency cover when we cannot get a supply teacher. We never use cover supervisors. I cannot work out the balance between TA appointments between Primary and Secondary from your post although we do seem to be continuing to make plenty of teaching appointments as far as I can see. Have you considered the increasing number of children with SEN in mainstream primary schools as a factor in this?