1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

dept budget decapatation! are they allowed to do this?

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by krazy, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Hi

In our school all departments have had their budgets stopped bascially. Anything that needs ordering from pens, exercise books to even board pens, have to go through the head and he will decide if they are needed. Is this allowed?

2. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

they can do what they want really... time to go job hunting! If your head is sensible, they will accept most requests, if not, they're in for a very disgruntled workforce. If I were you, I'd fill in a form for each pen, and snow him/her under with emails trying to clarify what you're allowed etc... Hopefully they'll soon get the message...

3. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

This happened to us last year, and this year, we had to bid for our capitation... including everything from CPD to new textbooks to board pens and photocopying. We have about £300 until April, and it's not going to be enough.
    Sadly, with the state of our finances, this is the way of the future.

4. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

Ultimately yes- it may be that ordering some things centrally may save money.

5. The financial side of running a school IS a business, the school has a (rapidly decreasing) budget and has to stay within it. The vast proportion ( in my school 80%) of the budget is spent on staffing, short of sacking staff, cuts HAVE to be made and spending curbed and that will almost inevitably be in departmental budgets.