1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Depression - weight gain

Discussion in 'Personal' started by sebedina, Jul 27, 2015.

1. sebedina

sebedina Occasional commenter

I feel I am fighting a losing battle with my weight. It just keeps going up and up and I am so heavy and exhausted with it.

I can't seem to be able to diet.

I get very hungry and then eat to satisfy my appetite. I am so confused about low fat or low carb or low calorie or low sugar. Has anyone managed to lose excessive weight? I need to lose 4 stone. I am in my 40s.

I honestly have lost the plot. I am worried this will start affecting my work as I am already getting depression because of it. I went for a day out with my children, and keeping up with the walking with truly exhausting. I felt my legs were going to fall off and felt like lead. So jogging is out of the question.

I would love to hear from anyone who has some "real" advice. Everywhere you go they sell sandwiches, bagles, muffins, takeaways etc.

2. onmyknees

onmyknees Established commenter

I sympathise- I am at my heaviest at the moment and it does not make for good self esteem. The only way I can successfully lose weight and stick to a diet is with the support of a slimming group. If you are unsure where to start, my advice would be to think about joining Weight Watchers/ Slimming World etc. You will find all the support you need there and they will give you books/ recipes/ eating plans to follow. Both these organisations offer online membership if you are unable to get to a meeting. It's hard to get motivated, but often the action of going to your first meeting, is the motivator that gets you going. Good luck!

3. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

You sound as though you're in the right frame of mind. i got thoroughly fed up with myself and had pains in my feet so I joined a slimming organisation and it sorted me out. I was so thrilled with the initial weight loss it became a virtuous circle. Find a group, as onmyknees says. Very good luck

Btw - I had to do low fat , low carb AND low sugar. it's all relative and i was eating like a piggy before. I still eat far less than I used to, it's the only way. I eat a lot of apples!

4. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

I sympathise as well.

Anyone fancy buddying up? It's exercise with me - I am a member of a gym, but I don't find actually exercising enormously enjoyable. I do it, but sort of under duress! Since I don't love it I try to find excuses to not do it, and I also am guilty of comfort eating.

5. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I managed to lose nearly 5 stone using Weightwatchers. It was worth doing because it made a huge difference to how well I felt day to day. I had never managed it without the structure provided by one of those groups but the online tracking makes it easy to stick to. You could also eat as much fruit as you wanted so there was never any need to feel empty.

6. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I'd strongly recommend seeing your GP to check thyroid function - I had an undiagnosed underactive thyroid and now I take a low level tablet to regulate it. As for weight loss, I stop and start diets on an almost daily basis (sigh) but instead of going cold turkey perhaps gradually introduce healthier option, such as a salad or ryvita/cheese or investigate substitutions such as porridge or soups. It might make it easier this way. One tip: if you like chocolate, put it in the freezer and then take a bit or two out to slowly melt in your mouth and drink loads of water....

Best wishes

7. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi Sebedina

I used to have a problem with my weight since I used to comfort eat a lot. Like other posters I used Weight Watchers diet but this was many years ago and once I learned how to prepare and eat healthy meals I never put the weight back on. Through the years I have taught myself how to cook healthy but tasty dishes so I am never bored with what I eat and feel I am not deprived. Rosemary Conley's books and DVDs are also great tools to use and I have found them very useful to use to learn how to make healthy meals and desserts plus the DVDS are fun to do. My husband makes the best low fat low sugar cheesecake in the world from a recipe in a writer by the name of Sue Kretzman who writes low fat cookbooks.

Don't despair... you can lose the weight but you will do it one bite at a time just like you put the weight on: one bite at a time. I think the key is not to take shortcuts but to know you not only have to lose weight but change your eating habits. What works for me is that I know I will eat 3 healthy meals each day plus snacks but the snacks are healthy. Also, you will need to do some light exercise.

If you don't like going to a gym, do some DVDS in your lounge. There are also many excellent ones on Youtube such as Jessica Smiths.

Think of all the benefits of being slim will be: better health, nicely fitting clothes, walking with your children.

Don't be confused or get caught up in gimmicks: the bottom line is you need to eat 3 healthy balanced meals each day and if you follow a plan such as Weight Watchers, Slimming World or Rosemary Conley they take the hassle out of it for you and provide you with plans that are reasonable and obtainable.

If you need anyone to chat to, always feel to contact me.

8. JTL

JTL Occasional commenter

I think we have been fed a lot of inaccurate advice about what constitutes a Healthy Diet over the years which has completely messed with our metabolism and caused our current obesity crisis. Just a suggestion, but try googling Diet Doctor. Very interesting reading. I have started following a HFLC High Fat Low Carbohydrate diet this last week and have lost three pounds so far. It takes a bit of getting your head around but does make sense. I have not felt hungry and feel great so far. Like you, it really was time to do something about my weight which has been gradually creeping up over the years. It is not the same as Atkins, as it is the natural fats you have to increase not the protein and you can eat green veg and berries for the fruit veg bit. Basically cutting out rice, pasta, potatoes, sugars and starchy veg which grows beneath the ground.

If you cut out the high carbohydrate foods, the body does not experience highs and lows with blood sugar levels and starts to use its stores of fat for energy instead.

Worth a try perhaps.

9. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Hi.... can I say.... please do not start jogging! Don't feel that you have to either ! Swimming, if you can face it and can swim is far far better for you, or walking - building up to brisk walking burns as many calories as the jogging.

There's lots of good advice here - your GP might have access to a Fresh Start scheme - I went on one and there were expert dieticians there who educated re what our food generally contains. You belonged to a group (like Slimming world etc but without the cost) and there were also exercise sessions led by sympathetic folk and little lycra about! If not I do agree with Slimming World as they can be supportive and informative without being "preachy"

I have had an underachieve thyroid diagnosed at 31 and that has proved problematic so do get a check on that.

10. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Try to eat as naturally as possible.

If it has a list of ingredients then don't eat it

Meat, fish, fruit, vegetables. In any quantities. But bread? No. Pasta? No. Cheese? Man-made. Nearly all drinks except water are processed. Rice is a bit processed but fairly OK. Potatoes? Well, only if you boil them. But who does that? No, we like them fried with salt and vinegar and ketchup. It's when you combine things with sugar, salts or fats that you lose control.

All that stuff is way too palatable You actually have to eat stuff that bores you to death. Which is how it should be. Eat to live. Don't live to eat. Food shouldn't be a hobby or a recreational activity. Certainly not if you have a sweet tooth or are just generally greedy. And that's almost all of us!

You have to break yourself of the habit of thinking of it as anything but fuel in your tank. It isn't a reward. It isn't a treat. It's a potential killer. It ought to be an ally and we ought to control IT.

11. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Food should be enjoyed...but it is learning how to plan healthy meals and how to cook without more fat and sugar than you need. Tonight I am fixing oven baked turkey Burger with home made oven chips and will serve it with salad. It is possible to have very tasty meals like curry but without too much fat. It is a matter of learning new recipes.

I also make a delicious lowfat cole slaw:

Take 1\2 white cabbage and 1\2 red cabbage and chop it and put it in a large bowl

Add 4 tablespoons of lowfat yogurt

1 tsp Dijon mustard

1\2 lemon juice

2 tsp vinegar

Black pepper to taste

2 shredded carrots

Mix everything together and add more yogurt if necessary or more of other spices.

What are some other healthy and tasty recipes people make?

12. Yes, being fat and lumpy makes you feel depressed, but you should try and find a sympathetic GP and ask for a set of blood tests to eliminate conditions that can cause weight gain and depression. If it's nothing but stuffing cakes down your throat, then you'll know what to do next (join Weightwatchers!).

I'm on a bit of a mission here because although there are plenty of avoidable circumstances contributing to the stone and a half presently sticking to my belly, I've nonetheless felt exhausted and flat in mood for a good year. I put this to a new GP and said I thought my thyroid pill dosage needed adjusting. He ordered a load of blood tests on the grounds that depression, exhaustion and weight gain are symptoms of loads of things. They all came back clear except Vit D, of which I have practically none. Key deficiency symptoms: exhaustion, depression, weight gain.

I'm on a massive dose for three months and already can feel an improvement.

Not saying this is necessarily your problem but a full MOT of blood tests isn't expensive, and it certainly motivates you to do something re diet and exercise. Before my thyroid problem was diagnosed I was very discouraged at the amount of weight I'd put on and was finding it very difficult to shift., so basically gave it up as a bad job and put on even more .

13. When you get cracking on your weight-loss regimen, sebedina, it's worth remembering that although you will feel like sh1t for a couple of months while your body adjusts to the new intake, you really do get used to it. You really do reach a point where you stop feeling hungry and hard-done-by, are seeing results, and the sight of a plate of profiteroles fills you with nothing more than self-righteous smugness that actually, I can take it or leave it, and as I'm on a diet, I'll leave it.

My diet starts Monday. I have a big family celebration on Sunday and there's no point kidding myself I'm going to avoid fatty food and wine. I am showing willing by re-joining the gym on the 1st August. I want to ditch a stone and a half by Christmas and intend to use this thread to bore you all to death with my progress :)

14. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Go bill !

In fact GO US !

15. frangipani123

frangipani123 Lead commenter

A friend's son who is now a junior doctor, said that one of his medical tutors said he always tests his patients for Vit D deficiency because it is so common today.

16. Yes, this guy, who looks about 16, said they were warned it was a common and undiagnosed problem (unfortunately the other thing he says his cohort of students are warned about is weight gain and depression caused by unadmitted alcohol intake). The main source is sunlight on skin (food is not a great source unless you live on cods' livers), and as most of us now slap on the sunscreen and work indoors, we aren't getting it. I had my grand-daughter with me and he said that 20 mins running about with head and arms uncovered in UK sunshine will not give her skin cancer and I should not put sunblock on unless she's going to be out for longer. If I must, make sure she has her vitamin drops.

I work in a windowless room and drive to and from work. What little sunshine we've seen this year has passed me by. But even if I'd been sunshiny and free, I've had skin cancer so do plaster on the sunblock. Hence.

Cod liver oil is an excellent source but it contains large amounts of Vit A as well. If you overdo it, you overdose on Vit A. I have proper pharmaceutical Vit D, and it's the first prescription drug I've taken for ages that doesn't have "avoid alcohol" plastered all over the packet. Hurray!

17. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

For me going to a gym cost money that I need elsewhere, so I have started using YouTube clips and Jessica Smith is created some very good routines for all abilities.

BB you won't bore us and we are all rooting for you.

Eating healthily at Christmas can be done too...

18. I think the amount of food about is a real problem. I've never been to a Harvester pub before but was really shocked at the sheer amount of food being consumed. People were eating bowls piled high from the free salad bar before their main meal arrived. This included bread rolls and butter as well as pasta, rice and potato salad. Most people made 2 trips eating far more than was healthy before their meal even arrived. One table was eating as we arrived, and still eating when we left over an hour later.

I think we have forgotten what a normal amount of food is. I do like the idea of not eating anything with a list of ingredients idea though. That would keep life simple.

PM

19. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Penny

You have highlighted something we need to keep in mind and it the portions of what we eat.

Not only is overeating not healthy, it can also be expensive. By eating sensible amounts of food it is possible make savings in a household budget.

With places like Aldi it is possible to buy fruit and vegetables cheaply and they also taste good.