1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Depression and leaving work

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Dothework, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Dothework

Dothework New commenter

If someone really hated their job, and it caused depression, would not returning in September be better for the school than the member of staff going on sick leave? Officially that would be seen as ending the contract early. But would they prefer that to paying someone on sick leave.
    If someone just did not return in September, what is the worst that could happen in reality?

2. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

If you are not up to performing your job effectively, then the best thing for all concerned is that you get signed off and get well. If you drag yourself in and under perform, that doesn't help anyone. Getting signed off allows the school to know how long you will be away for and make provision.

If you are still not ready to work in September, then get signed off again, don't plan to simply not show up.

I think you are in the 'difficult place' - where you are feeling depressed and hopeless and so the idea of coming back is horrific. This is understandable, but it's not the place from which to make decisions.

Take time off now. Have the summer, relax, see how you feel. Make your decisions from the 'not so difficult place.'If you don't feel up to coming back in September, get signed off and then think about resigning so that you are gone at half term.

If you just don't show up? Not much a school could do, but that would be unprofessional and unnecessary. And it would probably be the end of your teaching career.

3. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

Totally agree with SEBREGIS! Go off sick, get the medication and then think about notice, etc.

agathamorse and phlogiston like this.
  4. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Agree. See doctor, see if medication helps, then make decisions when you are in a better state of health.

Sure, in the long run it may be that the best thing to do is to leave, but you should not make that decision while you are at a low point - you might regret it.

If the prognosis is that someone is likely to be signed off for the foreseeable future, yes, a school might be quite willing to negotiate release from contract. Indeed, I negotiated a release from contract one July - but I was not making that decision when depressed (and also, importantly, could afford not to be employed the next term).

5. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

You have six weeks to relax and not worry about work.
    It's possible that mid-August anxiety will return.
    That might be the time for a frank discussion with your doctor about fitness to work, followed by an honest conversation with your head.
    If you talk to your head, it is likely that they will prefer clarity and honesty to messing about.
    Remember - the decision you make is for this job in 2019. Other jobs will come up in other places and times. These may be better than the moment.

agathamorse likes this.
  6. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

I have resigned with depression before but I was in a really bad place at the time and there was absolutely zero chance of me going back.

If you can bear it finish the academic year and see if you start feeling better in the six weeks. You might need medication even then. Then see how you feel before September and get signed off then? Depression is often self lomiting with a period of 3/months and with antidepressants kicking in, what seemed unbearable can become bearable and even borderline enjoyable. The last thing you want to do is resign, feel better then realise you could have gone back and slip into a depression caused by unemployment.

agathamorse likes this.