1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Depression and interviews

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Ange_mmm, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Hi there. the school you interview at is required by law to take a reference from your current employer before your interview. On this there is normally a section that askes about number of sick days. You will more than likely have this question on your application form too and they will require a brief explanation as to why you were off. I would imagine your school would probably put that you are off at the moment on the reference.
    Things like this shouldn't go against you in an interview, however I know from experience that some heads are not sympathetic. I used to recruit for secondary schools and worked with several heads and some of them were unbelievable in shortlisting meetings. I actually worked with one head who would not interview mature NQTs or scottish people! He was a joy! You may be required to go through occupational health but your union will be able to advise on that.
    Anyway depression is still a bit of a taboo subject and some people are suspicious of it. Be really honest about your condition and let them see that you are a good teacher that is suffering at the moment but you will get better. Hope it works out for you.

2. Of course - you can do anything. I used to take long walks and go charity shopping and sit in cafes a lot while off with WRS. At one point I also condidered taking a trip abroad - asked my GP and he said he would put it on my medical records that travelling was recommended for me. [​IMG] Do anything you want, depression is not like a broken leg!
    Khm, Curlygirly - most sources agree that this is actually illegal since the 2010 Equality Act. See http://property.practicallaw.com/0-502-5694?source=relatedcontent

3. Apologies to CG - it's because of the avatar! I'm sorry, the reply is meant for Ange_mmm

4. Thanks for your replies.
    I am not signed off at the moment, as I did not go to see the doctor in the end.
    I know that the doctor will sign me off if I ask, but I am reluctant to do so due to the risk of not getting another post, as I have asked in my other thread.