1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Depression & 'sick notes' - urgent advice needed

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by poppy2004, Jan 22, 2012.

1. poppy2004

poppy2004 New commenter

I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety last Tuesday and have been given citalopram to treat it. My doctor at the time warned me about side effects and about the fact that I might feel worse at first. She offered me a sick note but I refused it believeing that I would be OK.
    To cut a long story short I have not been OK. I returned to work after my appointment on the Tuesday morning and managed Wednesday in school but my husband insisted that I could not go on Thu or Fri. My medication has turned me into a complete zombie. I doubt I would be capable of driving nevermind being in front of a class. They have given me a crippling headache and I have barely slept since I started taking them. I am due back at the doctors on Tuesday.
    Anyway my questions are:
    I was away on Thu and Fri without a sick note. Chances are I won't be in tomorrow but am at the doctors on Tuesday - would I need a sick note for Thu, Fri and Mon?
    If I did need a sick note for those dates can my doctor do a retrospective one?
    Thank you in advance
    PS - It has taken me half an hour to even write this. I am struggling...

2. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

You don't need a note for 7 consecutive days. On the 8th day you need a note.

3. Doctors are not supposed to back date fit to work notes (no longer called sick notes/lines) but you can self certificate for the first week of absence.

4. poppy2004

poppy2004 New commenter

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly.
    Would Saturday and Sunday be counted then?

5. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

6. poppy2004

poppy2004 New commenter

Thank you lilachardy

7. poppy2004

poppy2004 New commenter

Thank you justbrowsing.
    Hope that these side effects get better - I'm wondering if its just better to feel cr*ppy all the time rather than deal with all of this!
    Here's hoping...

8. keep taking the citalopram, i found it bad at first, had my dose lowered to 5mg, then upped to 10 mg as the side effects were too immense to start with. i know how you feel about taking time off for it etc, my doc wanted to sign me off on sick leave for a while, but i didnt want anyone to ask questions at work why i was off etc so i just struggled through. now am all ok on them, apart from wierd dreams every night, but everything else has calmed down and i am hoping to come off them in 6months,
    keep well

9. poppy2004

poppy2004 New commenter

Thank you lilachardy and young teacher,
    I am back at the doctors again this morning to see how I am doing. If I were to be honest I would say not good. I will see what happens...
    Thank you again