1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Depressing weather

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BelleDuJour, Aug 25, 2011.

1. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

The weather here.....'darn sarf' is really depressing me. Inever knew Hampshire had a monsoon season! Won't be long before I need a canoe just to get to Sainsbury's!
    To make matter worse, yesterday afternoon (rained in morning) we had lovely sunshine. I fed the hounds early evening then took them down to the paddocks to see the horse and chickens. I took apples for horse and bread and crackers as an extra for the chickens. It was a lovely sunny evening. When I got there the chickens were almost out of chicken food, but were so excited about the bread I made an executive decision not to walk back for more food, but to go down with it this morning.
    Silly Belle.....I now need wellies, waterproof....the whole shebang!!!
    Bloody English weather!!! [​IMG]

2. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

7.30am - lashing it down so couldn't see across the road

8.30am - sun cracking the flags

9.30am - lashing it down again!

3. My son is camping somewhere in Surrey. Any one know what the weather is like there? I'm a bit anxious because it is his first time.

4. MarilynDan

MarilynDan New commenter

You should try living in the "cooler on the coast" north [​IMG]
    This "summer" has been dire and I thought the last two summers were bad enough. We've only ever had at best two full days of sun in any one week, the rest of the time it's been like October/November. We don't get serious flooding though, at least only in York and sometimes Hull!
    We bought a patio table and chairs four years ago but our weather is never good for sitting out eating past 6:0pm (unlike down south) so the bloomin' things haven't even come out the shed this year and weren't used last year.
    What gets me more than anything at this time of year is that it's dark by eight o'clock - really dark. Why can't it stay light an hour later. Complete daylight at 4.0 in the morning in June and at best it lasts until 9:0pm. I wish they'd change the clocks to give us extra daylight hours in summer.

5. moonpenny

moonpenny New commenter

The humidity in London has been stifling for the last few weeks and the rain is quite nice today.My goldfish have been striking in protest of the heat and I have had to put the air conditioning on for them at times to keep the heat down in their tank.

6. Henriettawasp

Henriettawasp New commenter

Time to shift school terms so that the Summer holidays start and finish earlier in the year?
    Double double summer time!

7. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

It is very depressing I agree. I dont get school hols any more and have my two weeks off now. Was looking forward to picnics and long walks, allotmenting etc but it seems to have lashed down every day so far.

8. Dull dull dull dull dull dull. Heavy sullen cloud. I had to put the lights on in the three-window kitchen this morning at 9 a.m. and was seriously considering the central heating at the start of the month.

9. BelleDuJour

In the words of Victor Meldrew 'I don't believe it!'
    This morning it looked and felt like November outside, now it is sunny and I've just been down to the chicks and have come back all hot and sweaty!
    I don't know!!!

10. Jealousy alert!

11. BelleDuJour

Sorry Bev but it's actually 2 horses but one is away being schooled at the mo. He will be home this week!
    You should come and visit and I'll arrange a little TES mini meet at Belle Towers! (not that it hasn't been done before.....just ask Kinsa, Snowstorm, Manashee, Henriette, Samajm!)

12. I'm in Surrey and it was pouring it down this morning but is lovely and sunny now.

13. Very tempting, Belle. Thanks for the offer. May take you up on that one day [​IMG]

14. And the nosh is really good. Even the crisps and nuts are posh!

15. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

thats no way to talk about bella and the Mr!

16. BelleDuJour

No worries Elfie. Mr Belle is most definitely both posh and nuts. As for me I'm completely barking.....and proud of it!

17. marmot.morveux

marmot.morveux New commenter

The problem is, when's it's hot and sunny, everyone complains at how hot it is! I took a mate to Paris, it was 30 degrees celsius and sunny (you know, lovely). He complains it's too hot....we arrive back here to 20 degrees in the Midlands, he complains it's too cold......
    MM

18. BelleDuJour

Not sure I've ever complained about the heat MM but I do get very fed up with the pissing rain! But I do know what you mean.

19. marmot.morveux

marmot.morveux New commenter

Yeah, admittedly rain IS rubbish! I've stopped having high expectations of British weather and take each day as it comes. Quite often, April to June is nicer than July to August - they should move the school holidays! :-D
    I also remember that the main reason for my parents deciding to go abroad for the first time 30 years ago was, you guessed it, the shoddy weather! We have this conversation every year.
    MM

20. BelleDuJour

You're not wrong there MM!