1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

depressed student teacher

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Jenkibubble, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Jenkibubble

Jenkibubble Occasional commenter

I have finished my first term of a SCITT course, and have been told I am on track. We have an assignment and presentation to complete for straight after christmas which is causing me to go to pieces. It is masters level, and can still gain QTS even if we do not pass it.
    I suffer with depression and up until now medication kept it under control, but, as I sit here in tears, it all seems so overwhelming.
    Twice I have gained advice from tutors regarding it, so feel like I can not go again.
    Am I in the right frame of mind to make a decision I may regret or is it the demands of the course which is clouding my judgements. Will I manage the role when I have completed it?
    If anyone can help / has been in a similar situation etc, I would appreciate suggestions.

2. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

That sounds tough for you. The PGCE/SCITT is hard and don't beat yourself up about how you'll cope in the future etc. It's the now that is important when you are suffering from depression.
    Give yourself a couple of days off until you are rested. A couple of good lie ins, fresh air, good home cooked food, exercise and nothing more. No work, no stress. Even make sure you can't see your files/work. Put them away.
    Come back to your assignment in a couple of days. If you are still struggling then why don't you contact your tutors again. You are suffering from depression, they will want to help. Also think to yourself what is the worse that can happen. You don't do this assignment and just go for the PGCE QTS and not the masters part?