1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Depressed, stressed and shaking. Don't know what to do

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by jellyplate, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Hello, I wouldn't normally write about personal things on a forum, but I don't know what to do. I have been feeling down for a long, long time. I felt stressed and down at my last school, so I left for a new start. Felt a bit better over the holidays and have just started a new job. The new job has straight away made me feel absolutely awful. I have been crying all weekend telling my partner I want to run away, or worse... I keep crying, shaking and literally pulling my hair out. I don't see any hope and I feel so down. I just want to lie down and sleep forever and I keep feeling like I can't breath and panicking. I feel completely overwhelmed. I don't know what to do. I have only just started so I don't want to mess them around but I think I never should have. I am afraid to leave or get signed off because I have rent and bills and a long time before I can get out of my tenancy. I don't want to let everyone down. I just can't cope with this. I have so much work to do for tomorrow and I can't get on with it because I can't breath. I just want to disappear. What should I do?

2. Hello, I wouldn't normally write about personal things on a forum, but I don't know what to do. I have been feeling down for a long, long time. I felt stressed and down at my last school, so I left for a new start. Felt a bit better over the holidays and have just started a new job. The new job has straight away made me feel absolutely awful. I have been crying all weekend telling my partner I want to run away, or worse... I keep crying, shaking and literally pulling my hair out. I don't see any hope and I feel so down. I just want to lie down and sleep forever and I keep feeling like I can't breath and panicking. I feel completely overwhelmed. I don't know what to do. I have only just started so I don't want to mess them around but I think I never should have. I am afraid to leave or get signed off because I have rent and bills and a long time before I can get out of my tenancy. I don't want to let everyone down. I just can't cope with this. I have so much work to do for tomorrow and I can't get on with it because I can't breath. I just want to disappear. What should I do?

3. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

1. Phone school now and leave a message saying you're not well so you won't be in tomorrow.
    2. Forget about the things you need to do.
    3. See a doctor tomorrow.

4. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Do what Lilac said, but also keep your union informed, turn off your mobile and do call screening on your home phone. Try to rest.

5. You must follow the advice already posted, it is imperative you see your GP. Phone the teacher support network for support they have a 24 hour helpline and are excellent. There is help out there, schools can be very understanding and your health must come first above all else. >p UK: 08000 562 561
    Wales: 08000 855 088
    TXT: 07909 341229
    Our Support Line is a 24/7 service

6. http://teachersupport.info/get-support/phone

7. I agree about seeing GP tomorrow and not going to work. The Samaritans are there 24/7 if you need to talk to someone before tomorrow (or any time at all). Please call them, they can be an enormous help when you can't see a way out of a situation. 08457 909090

8. What excellent, sensible advice - can't add to it but would completely agree with everything said so far.

9. Can't add to the good advice given, but just to send my love and say hang on in there. I have been there and things can get better, but only when you let them. I fought it for a very long time and made my life unbearable in the processs. Look after yourself and take all the good advice given. You will feel better and there are people out there who can help, you just have to start asking.

10. Hi Jellyplate,
    I don't have any specific help or advice for you other than I hope you were able to get yourself to your doctor today.
    I have been where you are, but am not yet through the other side, and can understand how difficult it must be for you at the moment.
    Admitting to myself and others, including doctor and school, that I was not coping was one of the hardest things I had to do, but I now have more of the support I need to try and get through.
    I hope you are able to get the help you need.
    Best wishes

S4mm13

11. Hello again. I just wanted to reply and say thank you everyone for your messages of advice and support. I was able to get to my doctor and they were great. It was nice to have someone understanding listen to me. They assured me that, although it will take time, I will feel better eventually. I'm not getting signed off at the moment because my doctor agreed it would make me feel worse in the long run. I would be worrying about having time off when I've not been there long and would possibly not be able to face going back. But I am going to get some talk therapy and I am going back to the dr at the end of the week to decide about antidepressents. I didn't want to decide at the time because I don't know much about them so they gave me some information. I am really concerned about the side affects and even silly things like not being able to have a drink with colleagues on a Friday for the next 6 months. But obviously I want to feel better.
    I was wondering what anyone would suggest I do if I have to go to therapy sessions during school time? I don't know what times or where it will be yet. I would try to arrange it outside of school. Do I have to tell my school where I am going? This is all a lot of what ifs as I haven't yet arranged.
    I feel marginally better just knowing someone is now helping me. It's almost a weight off my shoulders just knowing that. Thank you all for your help.