1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Depressed NQT with no job in September.

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by lily_w, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Hello. I qualified in 2010 and still have not got a job! I have had 9 interviews (not had one in a year though) and each time i came a close second with very little feedback to work on. I have been doing supply since 2010 and managed to get 1 term of my NQT year done in a nice school but unfortunately they had no budget to offer me anything more permanent. I got a second term before the summer done but the school messed up my registration and so I could not count that as my 2nd NQT term which was upsetting. My wife and I have just bought a house and had a baby so moving is not really an option with her job and everything so I just need to keep plugging away! Like the OP, it is very upsetting when you put everything into your PGCE etc and dont succeed but people who did very little, get a job straight away (One person on my course had a big fight with their mentor and was kicked out of the school and did not finish her 2nd placement but she still landed a job straight away!).

2. unako

unako New commenter

Hi lily_w. I wonder if you have now got a teaching job and how long did it take you to get. I could have written every word you wrote except I've never really had any feedback. I qualified last July, been to six interviews with no luck. I know this an old post but maybe I needed to hear those words.

3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

This is a very old post @unako its worth emphasising that the majority of NQT appointments for September are made in the summer term and schools will still be looking right up until after 31st May which is the resignation date for teachers currently employed who want to leave for September. The job market is also extremely local and depends upon whether you are primary or secondary

MarieAnn18 and border_walker like this.
  4. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

It would be fascinating to hear back from @lily_w though, and find out how the last 6 years have gone.