1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Depressed at the thought of returning.

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by nearly qualified, Nov 24, 2011.

1. HI
    I am on maternity leave and am due to return in January. Thing is since I have left the new teacher has completely changed everything and its like there is nothing left of what I had done previously; in a way I understand she has been taking the class and wanted to make it her own but she has made it so much more formal (its a FS class) and the worst thing is when I return I am being expected to continue the way she has started things off. I went in this week and had to sit through a meeting with her and the DH going through a check list of things she has started that they feel need to continue when I return - some of which I agree with some I do not but when I tried to say why I would not been doing things that way I was shot down in flames and told that 'we all have to do things we dont like'. Its not necessarily I do not like them, it is what is best for the children surely??
    I am so upset - I have been there for 5 years and i would have hoped that they would have thought I was capable of teaching well by now, but clearly not. This new teacher seems to be far better than I will ever be, even though I had advisors in last year working with me to get my classroom as it should be and helping me to persuade the HT that it is the correct way to be working (the school seems to be stuck in a rut) She left saying that my practice was very good and effective, yet it has all been changed and reverted back to the old ways of doing things.
    I feel so down at the thought of returning as I just know I am going to find it hard to work in a way that I do not agree with - I have already had 3 years of doing this and was just getting things the way I wanted them. I was told I am not allowed to change anything back as in September I will be moving to another year group and this teacher will be returing to FS so it is better for her if I leave it as it is!!!! I feel like a blinking NQT again! So i have to put up with it for 2 terms.
    Have been looking for another job but they are scarce in my area as I also have my childcare to think about. Feeling very low and keep crying a lot. There is no point talking to HT as he thinks the sun shines out of her behind and she can do no wrong. What should I do? x

2. baitranger

baitranger Occasional commenter

Go back, smile sweetly , agree with the new way of doing things, and then after a few weeks when everyone is busy doing something else, gradually change things back to the way they were.

3. Thank you for your replies. I think I am more senstive because of the worry of returning to work and leaving my baby; I feel it has made more work for me which is not what I need. I am hoping when I get back into the swing of things I will feel more positive about it, I am just dreading the thought of going back as I love being at home with my lo. x

4. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

It is going to be hard to leave your baby - this is natural. When I left my daughter for the first time, I cried all the way to school and couldn't wait for school to finish! You will get back into the swing of things quick enough, but as you have already noticed, your priorities have quite rightly changed - your baby comes first! Enjoy the next few weeks, especially the first Christmas with your little one! If you want to talk to a mum who has been there, please feel free to PM me! Good luck! xx

5. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

Just be an NQT again. Look forward to a new class (and room) in September and in the meantime enjoy the ride with all decisions being made for you (you won't be responsible so good ha!) and don't be fazed by this sillyness. My get caught up in early years - we have to be good team workers but secretly we long for the chance to have our own way - yes?
    We are awaiting the new new curriculum in early years, ding ding, all change.....
    Don't let this situation put you off teaching in early years. Later, there will be other jobs, other settings, other times of change. Just enjoy your baby and get back into work gradually. Just be graceful about the opportunity you now have to hitch a ride while you get back into the working mum mode.
    Trust me, you will be making important decisions to change things round for some class or another and probably sooner than you think.
    It is a pity your SMT and colleagues could not have handled the situation better though.

6. Thank you.
    I have decided I am going to go back and just do what they have told me - (for an easy life basically!) and then they will only have themselves to blame if we are inspected or anything like that.
    I am already looking forward to September having a new class (well, same children but totally new curriculum and way of working) so will just do my best for the next two terms.
    Thanks x