1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Depressed at my new school, but it feels impossible to leave

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by GotGreen, Feb 24, 2016.

1. GotGreen

GotGreen New commenter

Hi all - much advice needed!

Started my Phase Leader role at a new school this September having been in my previous school as HOY for 5 years. Adored my previous school but felt ready for a new challenge and to be closer to home. Fast forward to now and I've been depressed/stressed ever since I arrived. I hate it. The behaviour, the constant scrutiny, the work hours, the audits, the pointless paperwork, the lack of consideration, the copious amounts of mistrust. On the surface you would not think it was a tough place to work, but everyone is stressed and miserable.

My dilemma is I am desperate to leave. I have been constantly checking job vacancies. However, my head is offering me all sorts to stay - any post I could possibly see they have an 'equal' offer to give me. Trust me, I'm very grateful for this but my stomach is in knots thinking about staying . . . but also at leaving and ending up somewhere just as bad.

Can I simply say I don't think the school is the right fit for me? Or will I risk getting a bad reference this way?

2. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

Gosh, you sound just like my colleague.

You must do what you feel is right. Generally, gut instinct helps keep us safe. Someone else may be around shortly, but it's ultimately a dilemma only you can decide....

Sorry... Not any help at all.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Turn it round.

I am not the right person for this school.

Takes the burden off them. But be prepared to say how!

Best wishes