1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Departmental review observation under the new Ofsted framework help!!!!

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by soniagilet, Feb 23, 2012.

1. soniagilet

soniagilet New commenter

Hi

I am being observed with my year 7 next week and I have to prepare a lesson plan under the new Ofsted framework. I will teach a new topic which is school subjects. I am struggling with 80 percent student versus 20 percent teacher talk knowing that I have to introduce new vocabulary. Do you count a listening exercise a student talk?

Anyway here the ideas I have. First recap introduce the school subjects with a PowerPoint, then quickly recap on opinions to follow on what makes a level 3. We use studio 1 active teach so there is a good game in teams where pupils pop balloons. I would then do a listening where pupils listen to young people and find out what subjects they like and dislike.
    Then I would give a reading exercise where pupils would colour in different colours the negatives, connectives, different people and opinions. For extension, I would add reasons. After that they could do a survey in the class to finish with a writing of what subjects they like and dislike.

What do you think? Would that be 80/20? Any suggestions welcome as I am getting really stressed.

2. I was observed yesterday under the new frame work. The observer made a point of looking through exercise books to check my marking and also asking students, "Are your lessons normally like this?" and "What is the behaviour like normally in Spanish lessons?" and "Do you enjoy your Spanish lessons?" !!!
    I would do Richard Hamilton's dominoes they are excellent and show the students taking charge of their own learning. Don't forget to bang on about level ad infinitum! Good luck.

3. soniagilet

soniagilet New commenter

Thanks for your reply, what are those dominoes? Where do I find them?

4. henriette

henriette New commenter

I haven't seen that laid down anywhere - can you point the in the direction of documentation to share with my dept please?
    what are these? again, can you point me in the right direction, please?
    Thanks to both
    H

5. I've friend requested you both

6. henriette

henriette New commenter

accepted

7. musiclover1

musiclover1 New commenter

Can I please know about these dominoes as well? Everyone in my school is utterly convinced that Ofsted will come in any minute, and I'm also getting really anxious.

8. musiclover1

musiclover1 New commenter

We had a staff meeting on Monday where they told us all about what these inspectors want, and apparently they're really hot on the pupils knowing how to improve - so exercise books marked with feedback seem to be essential - more so than an 'all singing all dancing' lesson. And yes, they'll ask if the lesson is different from normal - so they want to see a real lesson, not a showpiece.

9. henriette

henriette New commenter

they were doing this 2 years ago when they came to us.

10. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

If you do get Ofsted, make sure the kids tell them they want to do German but that the short sighted and ill mannered head won't let them.

11. I and three other members of my Dept had Ofsted at end of January and the main things picked out were "too much teacher talk" not enough active participation of students but strengths were catering for needs of all students and planning - as a result of making sure prior date is used to inform this as expected under previous system too. Personally my Y7 were introduced to new vocabulary and we did a variety of activities covering all skills and games (teacher led) but students were on side and v. enthusiastic, they all each had a "toolkit" which they personalised throughout the lesson demonstrating their own acquisition of the nbew vocabulary. The Ofsted inspector went round, looked at books and tested the kids knowledge of the vocabulary. Spoke in TL to students too! Lesson was graded 1 on all three areas. However, experienced colleauges who had students hanging on their every word were graded 2 for behaviour as students not "active" enough. We're now heading for 3 years CPD on how to raise pupil participation in lessons.
    Good luck!

PS Would be happy to share lesson plan and resources if you send me a personal message.

12. salsera

salsera New commenter

Basically students have to be the active ones in the class ie doing rather than being talked at. Look at group and pair work so they use each other to find out and do.
    Also do not rely on "hands up" for answers so look at alternative ways of getting students to answer so that all students within a class are questioned rather than just the ones who are "in the know".
    (Ofsted came just before half term)

13. runaway

runaway New commenter

Students 'hanging on every word' would be counted and recognised as active listening under the new framework -sounds like senior management need to re-read the framework and/or speak to an inspector

14. It was an Ofsted insector this term who made that judgement and gave the feedback that the students were too passive.

15. We were ofsteded recently and here is the blogpost I wrote about it.

16. runaway

runaway New commenter

Goes to show how Ofsted need ofsteding -the advice is explicit in their training! sigh....And of course 'hanging off their every word' is subjective if the inspector saw one who wasn't.

17. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

Really good blogpost Dominic, very useful thanks!

18. Thanks and you're welcome.

19. rosa11

rosa11 New commenter

Very useful comments, good that you've goft a sense of humour and level head! None of this is rocket science, just needs to be done properly. Make sure your handwriting is upto it too