1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Departmental responsibility

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by atics, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Our department has a HoD and no other TLR/repsonsibility within the department. There are 12 teachers covering KS3-KS5.
    The HoD teaches a full timetable (i.e. only has the 10% for PPA) and so of course struggles to do everything and so most of the work gets delegated to other teachers and then he takes all the credit for the work done.
    This is starting to create resentment among the team. It is understandable that he does not have the time to get everything done, but equally he is getting paid for the extra work that others are doing.
    My question is: what is it reasonable to ask teachers to do over and above teaching, planning and marking for their allocated classes? Is there any recourse for anyone who says that they won't, for example, update a scheme of work as it's not their job? I would like to know as I am under the impression that saying "it's not in my job description" would not go down well, and I'm sure that it will say that teachers have to do what is reasonably asked of them anyway.
    Many thanks.

2. Our department has a HoD and no other TLR/repsonsibility within the department. There are 12 teachers covering KS3-KS5.
    The HoD teaches a full timetable (i.e. only has the 10% for PPA) and so of course struggles to do everything and so most of the work gets delegated to other teachers and then he takes all the credit for the work done.
    This is starting to create resentment among the team. It is understandable that he does not have the time to get everything done, but equally he is getting paid for the extra work that others are doing.
    My question is: what is it reasonable to ask teachers to do over and above teaching, planning and marking for their allocated classes? Is there any recourse for anyone who says that they won't, for example, update a scheme of work as it's not their job? I would like to know as I am under the impression that saying "it's not in my job description" would not go down well, and I'm sure that it will say that teachers have to do what is reasonably asked of them anyway.
    Many thanks.

3. September

September New commenter

Those that are doing the delegated work need to ensure that it is recorded in dept minutes and also communicated to the powers that be.