1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Departmental Budget

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by welshpagan, Jun 27, 2011.

1. We had our department meeting today and an item on the agenda was next years budget. it is not good.

Food Technology £650
    Product Design £450
    Construction £450.

I teach product design and last year I had £750 (roughly £1 per pupil) and i struggled last year. I cannot see how I can continue running the course with so little money. I will also have to pay roughly £300 in photocopying.

I have spoken to the HOD and she agrees that this is just ridiculous. she had just moved from a school where he dept. budget was £12,000. does anyone have any suggestions how i can bring money in to the department and also make SLT take note and that we need more funding?

please help.

cheers.

2. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Enterprise? Could you make things to sell? Personalised mugs if you have sublimation. I did Christmas decs at my last school on the laser. Offer small businesses use of laser etc for cost?
    No way you can cut photocopying by more e-learning resources etc? X

3. re

re New commenter

In a similar situation a few years ago I costed every project in a speadsheet, added in consumables etc. and presented SLT with result. Caused immediate doubling of budget. Now I updatesaid spreadsheet every year.

4. Could you possibly email or upload a copy of your spreadsheet - may help us do the same thing??
    clairelouise123@hotmail.com

Would be much appreciated.

5. sadly if a food room is rented out the school takes money not dept ALSO many (like mine so not reach env health standards re tiling and floors etc then there is the cleaning- all very complicated.
    Sales is how I made most of my resources but this budget is ridiculous.

6. I would be really interested in your costing spreadhseet if possible?

Many Thanks.