1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Department timetable?

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by Caymem, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Caymem

Caymem New commenter

Hi

As head of department do you get to decide what groups each teacher gets?

Also as head of department do you get less hours then other members of the team?

2. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

There will be different answers in different schools. In my school HoD allocates groups to teachers but this may produce impossible timetabling so discussion with the timetabler may be needed to create a workable solution.
    We used to give no management time on the basis that HoDs were paid extra for the work. Now changed to reduction of 15 to 20% depending on size of department

3. tb9605

tb9605 Occasional commenter

Luckily, I was able to be involved in timetabling from the outset - it helps that I'm Head of English, so rightly or wrongly I get a little more sway than, say, Head of Art. I got 95% of what I wanted.

In a previous school, where I was SiD, we were consulted and often got what we wanted for KS4, but KS3 was always a little bit of pot luck.

4. Caymem

Caymem New commenter

What lessons are you teaching next year then?

5. gemmamarie08

gemmamarie08 New commenter

In my school, our HoD allocate classes for their faculty - the overall placing of classes/year groups for the whole school is done by the deputy head. So, by the time we get the timtable we know that all Y11 lessons for our subject are on x days at y times etc.

Then it's a case of the HoD deciding which teaches is having too set Y11, who is teaching A-level etc.

It then goes back through SLT for checking.

6. Caymem

Caymem New commenter

oh thats how it works then?

7. Billysmum22

Billysmum22 New commenter

As a new head of department, I decided the student groups for our new intake groups which is then okayed by SENDCo who allocates support and pastoral leads. Head teacher decides timetable and when lessons fall. Quite a small school though.

8. Mr_G_ICT

Mr_G_ICT New commenter

depends a lot on the subject and the school. in one school i was given the teachers and classes and told to "make it fit", others allocate the classes and then i can decide if i need to make any "final moves".

it has so many variables here that it's a hard call