1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Department Christmas Meal

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Elektra, Dec 21, 2018.

1. Elektra

Elektra New commenter

Had a very nice meal- spoilt only, when bill came, by maths colleague working out with a calculator exactly how much everyone owed (forgetting the tip- obviously.)
    What happened to splitting the bill? If someone has several glasses of wine or is the only one to have dessert, naturally they should 'cough up' the extra, but really... spoiled the occasion for me, especially when everyone proceeded to pay on their cards...
    Am I out of touch? Probably!
    Merry Christmas!

2. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

What you say is a normal expectation but who is counting the glasses or bottles of wine/alcohol and it might turn out that those who consume most lose track thus causing no end of resentment from those who are teetotal ... been there done that, was as odd an affair as you described, although the heavy drinkers were an entertainment act all of their own, especially as they tried to escape without either throwing up or paying up. *Fun times they weren't really. :oops:

3. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Just to put the other viewpoint: I know many who, when finances are tight, have carefully chosen a cheaper menu item, fewer courses and soft drinks. Is it fair then to expect them to take an equal share and cough up perhaps ten pounds or so more than they ordered because others are in the position to spend more freely?

The best ones are set meals, two or three courses chosen and paid for in advance then everyone can relax on the evening and do their own thing fetching drinks from the bar.

4. needabreak

Just to be clear I was one of the the non drinkers in the shenanigans I described... For the reason you describe, the set menu bill was upped by about ten pounds each, not much but argueably a difficult situation as those heavy drinkers didn't see a problem, consequently there were fewer numbers in later get togethers.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

There are times when I am really struggling financially so will pick the cheapest thing and a soft drink so I am not embarrassed when the bill comes, so as a rule I prefer not to split the bill. However when I go out with a small group of my girl friends we all tend to have the same, a main, drink, mini-pudding and coffee so we do split the bill.

6. needabreak

Yes it's much easier with small groups isn't it.

Lara mfl 05 and (deleted member) like this.
  7. FormosaRed

FormosaRed Occasional commenter

I've changed my view on this over the past year or so. I used to beall for splitting the bill. However, the last three dos (2 xmas, 1 Summer), staff have left after they've eaten leaving cash for their personal bill and we have been short. As the meal organiser I ended up paying the supplementary extra, which was a lot. Last Summer I had a small maincourse, no starter, no pudding, no alcohol. I consumed £10 and had to pay £25 to fit in with splitting the bill. I've had enough of it and I'm out of department meals/social events now as a result. It isn't the money. It's the presumption and selfishness.

needabreak and (deleted member) like this.
  8. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I agree with Sunday Trekker. Our exercise class Christmas lunch was last week. We had all paid in November, the choices we had made were typed on name cards, which made it easy for the waiting staff and we just ordered our own drinks.

I’ve been to so many splitting the bill do’s when I’ve had much less than everyone else and paid effectively for someone else’s pudding or drink. I also know of people who order the cheapest thing on the menu, tap water to drink and carefully count out the money to the last penny. It’s difficult!

Lara mfl 05 and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I like the German way. They ask 'zusammen oder getrennt?' ie split the bill or pay separately.
    It really can spoil a meal when you end up subsidising others.

Ten of us went for an Italian, last week. The bill came itemised. That way, we all saw what we'd ordered, and paid accordingly. Perfect.

10. tenpast7

tenpast7 Occasional commenter

Says it all about Teacher Unity- lol.