1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dep/head jobs out now for Sep. start

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by DexterDexter, Jul 6, 2019.

1. DexterDexter

DexterDexter Occasional commenter

I am going to email the trusts involved for more details, but I’m stumped as to why there would be key senior leader posts advertised significantly after the resignation deadline for a September start.
    Why haven’t they gone to an agency for an interim?
    How many applicants are they expecting?
    Does this mean it has someone’s name already on it?

Has anyone come across this? What were the circumstances?

2. notreallyme75

notreallyme75 Occasional commenter

Yes often! I don’t think it necessarily means they have someone lined up for it... who knows he reasons! I’d be interested to hear too, am following your thread.

DexterDexter likes this.
  3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

It does seem strange. Perhaps, unbeknown to us, there's a massive pool of potential for leadership candidates currently out of work.

You know. NQTs.

As far as I can see they'll appoint just about anyone these days.

4. starlightexpress

starlightexpress Occasional commenter

Maybe on the off chance circumstances have meant the right person is free? Agencies are expensive. Maybe just rolling ad ad until they get someone, demonstrating going down all avenues? Advertised in hope or to demonstrate robust process for internal option?

5. DexterDexter

Such sensible suggestions! Thank you! I’ll post the outline of the answer when I hear back but you’re probably right- an advert on the off chance/open definitely to trust colleagues and then re-advertise.

starlightexpress likes this.
  6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Do you mean you are going to email for more details as to why they are advertising now? :eek:
    I can't imagine for a second they will tell you...especially if the honest answer isn't particularly palatable.

They will know it is well past the deadline, but have put Sept. on the off chance someone has resigned with no post to go to, or is relocating, or something similar and so is available then. However, they are probably more than ready to negotiate an October start or wait until January for the right person.

No point paying out a fortune to an agency for an interim, without even attempting to get someone.

7. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

It does indeed seem strange- unless the person who’s job it was/is has had to leave with immediate effect or has passed away- I don’t know?

8. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Not strange at all.
    They haven't found anyone yet. Or they didn't know they needed someone until later than usual.
    The agencies will be eyeing up that ad like a labrador at the kitchen bin, and a few will have had dialogues with the school already. So if nobody is found, there will be agency staff ready to step in if useful.
    Many schools barely need to "go to agencies" these days. They place an ad and the agencies call the school within three seconds of the ad going live, For a school, that's all bases covered. They will be staffed. They either find somebody who's ok,or they get somebody through agency until, say, Christmas.

fwiw the school I worked in last recruited about ten new teachers between Easter and end of year, but by July four of them had dropped out, all for disparate reasons. It happens.

Pomza, agathamorse and DexterDexter like this.
  9. friedgreentomatoes

friedgreentomatoes Lead commenter

Last year we had two members of SLT resign without jobs to go to (and therefore available for a September start) - it does happen.

10. DexterDexter

I have emailed one trust asking if they would accept applications from out of the organisation (it’s a massive trust!) as I am in a position to apply for one of their posts but not currently working for them.

I wouldn’t expect them to tell me a senior leader had left because they were fired/walked out swearing/decided not to turn up one day! That would be refreshing though!

11. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

we have had a deputy head leave this week because his wife has had a serious accident and is unlikely to be able to care for their children for 6 months or more

12. starlightexpress

They might tell you in interview! Good luck. I too was in position to apply for such a September position in a MAT. Sometimes it’s that match both ways and that perfect timing! My experience of MATs is that they welcome new talent in, in addition to growing their own. My experience of LAs (working for and in applying for roles) is more likely the promotion of a known person. If you’re available/ looking, I’d advise contacting the HR link people of trusts with overview of your skills and experience as they’ll as have idea of roles pending and can signpost to selection processes. All the best- and keep us updated.

Curae and DexterDexter like this.
  13. Flanks

Flanks Senior commenter

It's normally as simple as someone else getting a job outside of notice period and the school being either willing or happy to let them go.

14. DexterDexter

I’m really heartened at the positivity and sense in all your replies. Thanks everyone. I’ll keep you posted with anything I hear.

Curae likes this.
  15. DexterDexter

Update!
    HR finally got back to me. Seemed quite positive... head has left, everyone has shuffled into interim appointments, yes apply if you are able, the trust is flexible... however... teachers in the trust will be guaranteed an interview and then if there is no-one suitable it will be open to external candidates.

Fair enough... until I checked the website and the job is no longer taking applications!

So the final answer to my questions is... it is someone else's job. It was open for 3 days at the most.

16. Happygopolitely

Happygopolitely Established commenter

I see these as desperate schools. Avoid them at all costs.

17. Curae

Curae Lead commenter

Schools know who they want. If it's internal they approach the desirable candidate and encourage them to apply. Trust me I have seen this happen dozens of times at almost every level. There are the ocassional equal opportunity events when there's no one else or if the position is difficult to fill.

agathamorse and DexterDexter like this.
  18. starlightexpress

Thank you for the update. It sounds as if HR are demonstrating advert had gone to a wider and an external field, however they know who they want.

Good luck in finding something.

agathamorse and DexterDexter like this.
  19. DexterDexter

It did seem a rather a soulless, corporate trust that wasn’t particularly bothered about the students so definitely one to avoid @Happygopolitely

HR really did want to be seen doing the right thing (but failed!!).
    Thank you, @starlightexpress

20. Curae

Curae Lead commenter

Hi

Maybe you should still go for it to simply demonstrate your interest in developing.

I wanted to apologise if I came across direct and unsupportive as I am quite the opposite. Personally I hate the hypocrisy behind schools that rave about equal opps then go and hand jobs on plates to certain individuals who are the most unsuitable with inadequate experience and they go on tomake a complete mess of the role.

Good luck